Ultramarathon: yay or nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    maybe consider another ultra that won't cost as much or that you could get to from home easily - not sure where you live, but i have many friends that run ultras (one of the idiots just did the mid-west grand slam of 4 100 milers in like a 3 month period) can find then within a decent driving distance of home
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    To make it up to myself I've signed up for a trail marathon next month which is reachable by public transport. Luckily I recovered pretty quickly from the Sydney marathon last month and have already built my base back up, and have enough time to fit in 4 long runs before tapering (again!).

Thanks again for the input everyone!

Now going to the gym, that's where I would have my limits. I can't imagine spending hours in the gym each week when I can be running trails, outside, with nature. Day or night, rain or sun, summer or winter...it doesn't matter. That's where I want to be. No monthly membership fee, no dirty showers, open 24/7, no waiting for someone to get off my machine, just me and the single-track. Then again, in a gym you don't have to worry about ticks, mosquitoes, bear, snakes, tripping on roots and rocks, getting lost, getting caught in a sudden thunderstorm, frostbite, etc.

This is me 100%. Recently, I have had to force myself into the gym one day a week because I know it is necessary if I want to continue running over the long haul. But I have had to hire a personal trainer in order to keep me motivated and accountable. This is something I never have had to worry about with running.