Apple Watch v Fitbit

Options
So, I'm back to trying this again. But my current Fitbit is on its last leg. A while back, I was debating switching to the Apple Watch anyways but held off since my Fitbit was still okay. I am currently using the firbit charge (the original, not the 2). Aside from losing the Fitbit interface and such (which I am a bit sad about) do I lose anything else significant when transitioning away from Fitbit?

Replies

• jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit blaze for the sleep tracking information, and the long battery life. I will probably wait to switch to the Apple watch when they add a better sleep tracking to their system.
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore my apple watch. It has the HR feature - and while some say it's not accurate - it's still using the same measurement each time which helps me when I'm on walks not to get my HR too high (I take medicine that I have to watch my HR). It also has a little circle diagram that shows me where I'm at with my move/stand/exercise goal each day. The watch does need charged a lot - but if you turn off the wake when raised feature the battery lasts 75% longer. If you're competitive or doing this with a buddy - it has a sharing feature that lets your friends know when you've completed a workout. I do wish Apple had a better sleep tracker, but I already know that I sleep terrible and I'm working with my doctor to improve that.
  • Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just switched from a Fitbit charge HR to Apple Watch 3. I am loving the Apple Watch! I miss the Fitbit competitions but am happy with my choice. The new Apple Watch battery life is much better then the old ones. I charge it every night but when I plug it in late at night, it’s usually still at 60%. Myfitnesspal pal seems to be syncing my steps from the phone and not my Watch (even though it says Apple Watch steps). I have to look into this with MFP support.
  • vern159
    vern159 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MizMareedy wrote: »
    I absolutely adore my apple watch. It has the HR feature - and while some say it's not accurate - it's still using the same measurement each time which helps me when I'm on walks not to get my HR too high (I take medicine that I have to watch my HR). It also has a little circle diagram that shows me where I'm at with my move/stand/exercise goal each day. The watch does need charged a lot - but if you turn off the wake when raised feature the battery lasts 75% longer. If you're competitive or doing this with a buddy - it has a sharing feature that lets your friends know when you've completed a workout. I do wish Apple had a better sleep tracker, but I already know that I sleep terrible and I'm working with my doctor to improve that.

I use an app called Auto Sleep with my Apple Watch, works great and seems to be spot on. I also use its sister app called Heart Watch which provides a good breakdown of your heart rate. I’ve also worn a polar HRM chest strap and it was basically the same as the HRM on Apple Watch.
  • kelaya00
    kelaya00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also just switch from the Fitbit Blaze to the Apple watch. I must say I do love the Apple watch but I do miss the Fitbit Community, the battery life and the sleep tracking. I thought about returning it but figured that Apple would eventually catch up in these areas (the community and battery life). Overall I love the watch as it is a extension of my phone. It is great when I am in long meetings and can still be in touch without looking at my phone.

For those of you who have the Apple watch, is there a community app out that I am unaware of? I truly miss the motivation.
  • Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    kelaya00 wrote: »
    I also just switch from the Fitbit Blaze to the Apple watch. I must say I do love the Apple watch but I do miss the Fitbit Community, the battery life and the sleep tracking. I thought about returning it but figured that Apple would eventually catch up in these areas (the community and battery life). Overall I love the watch as it is a extension of my phone. It is great when I am in long meetings and can still be in touch without looking at my phone.

For those of you who have the Apple watch, is there a community app out that I am unaware of? I truly miss the motivation.

Which Apple Watch did you get? The battery life on mine (3) is two days. Much better then I thought. Figured it would need charging every day. You can add people to your activity wheel and keep track and cheer them on. Not sure if there is anyway to do competition like Fitbit.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It is not much but there is an app called ‘challenges’ where you interact with other Apple Watch users
  • kikipa
    kikipa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been mulling this over too. It seems like Fitbit is cheaper but Apple Watch does more. I'm still trying to decide if I'd use the extras that come with apple.
  • Mugs203
    Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! Trying to decide between the Apple watch and a Fitbit Charge 2 because I hate wearing the chest strap for workouts. My eyesight is getting worse (I am over 40) and I am concerned that I wont be able to see the fonts on the watch (I am considering the 38mm) - any feedback on that?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How is this a question? Do you want a Yugo or a Mercedes?
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mugs203 wrote: »
    In the same boat! Trying to decide between the Apple watch and a Fitbit Charge 2 because I hate wearing the chest strap for workouts. My eyesight is getting worse (I am over 40) and I am concerned that I wont be able to see the fonts on the watch (I am considering the 38mm) - any feedback on that?

The apple watch has a ton of different views. You can make it look digital or traditional - big or small. Picture or no picture.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't like about the apple watch are:

1) I miss challenges as fitbit implemented them. There's something similar with apple watches, but I don't like it as much (particularly since you add based on email address).

2) I don't like that I need itunes on my computer to add an mp3 to the watch. I can't even, for example, add it via icloud. At the same time, the ionic requires fitbit-specific software instead of treating it as a usb drive when charging, which I would have preferred.

3) I slightly prefer the fitbit default display to the ring concept on the apple watch

This is from a fitbit charge/charge2 vs apple watch s2 perspective. I know a lot of people like the sleep functionality in the fitbit products, and therefore the relatively low battery life (1-2 days between charges) is problematic for them, but it's a bit less so for me.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I used to have a fitbit charge HR and switched to Garmin vivosmart Not missing my fitbit I have backed up all data
    My husband just bought the iwatch and to be honest I am a little jealous B)
  • halfmill1
    halfmill1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't like about the apple watch are:

1) I miss challenges as fitbit implemented them. There's something similar with apple watches, but I don't like it as much (particularly since you add based on email address).

2) I don't like that I need itunes on my computer to add an mp3 to the watch. I can't even, for example, add it via icloud. At the same time, the ionic requires fitbit-specific software instead of treating it as a usb drive when charging, which I would have preferred.

3) I slightly prefer the fitbit default display to the ring concept on the apple watch

This is from a fitbit charge/charge2 vs apple watch s2 perspective. I know a lot of people like the sleep functionality in the fitbit products, and therefore the relatively low battery life (1-2 days between charges) is problematic for them, but it's a bit less so for me.

If your music is on your phone you can easily put it on your watch. Just got to the music setting on the Watch app on your phone and click the playlist you want to add to your watch. I use my watch and wireless headphones to for for a run without having to carry a device around.