Extra skin

Options
Anyone know how to get rid of extra skin from weight loss?
I tried weight training and core exercises and cardio, nothing helps tighten it back up. I also had a baby 9 months ago!
I started at 158 I'm now at 130. I'm 5'4 I lost 28 pounds and I'm still left with some fat but mostly extra skin. Dont mind all the stretch marks.
ujcvybadisdg.jpg

Replies

• emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would say time might help. I'm your height and weight and looked very similar when I first dropped weight. After a few months things tightened up a bit more. I still have a little excess skin but expected it since I've had 3 children and been overweight most of my life.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Time will generally help. Long-term, if it really bothers you, surgery is an option. Genetics and age play a big role in skin elasticity, so there isn't much you can do beyond those two things. No form of exercise is going to help, nor will any of the creams, pills, etc..
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think time is the one thing that helps the most help, though I do believe lifting will make it look better, but with time as well, because I'm about your weight a little taller though and I'm the same. I lost almost 80 pounds, but I have this kinda hanging flab on my belly and under my arms and have noticed recently, now that I have become very strict in my lifting that it does look better, but may that just me getting used to the way I look.

But really time is everything I've seen people with a lot more extra skin looking pretty tight after a couple of years
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Anyone know how to get rid of extra skin from weight loss?
    I tried weight training and core exercises and cardio, nothing helps tighten it back up. I also had a baby 9 months ago!
    I started at 158 I'm now at 130. I'm 5'4 I lost 28 pounds and I'm still left with some fat but mostly extra skin. Dont mind all the stretch marks.
    vismal wrote: »
    Going by the picture there appears to be more fat than there is extra skin. Certainly some of the problem is skin but true "loose skin" that is not in combination with excess fat is typically very thin, think the top of your hand thin. Genetics are a big determining factor in how loose skin will develop and how well, if at all, it will go away. It typically takes most people a very long time (years) to see major improvements in loose skin. Some are lucky and it happens quicker, others aren't. I also believe the amount of time the skin was "stretched" is a factor. Pregnancy probably does less damage than say being obese for a decade (speculating on this claim, not stating as evidence based fact but more anecdotal observation). Aside from surgery, the two things you can do are one, lose as much fat as possible so that you know you are dealing with loose skin and not excess fat and two, give it time. Creams, exercises, fasting, and pretty much everything people "swear by" for loose skin isn't proven to work. Most of the people who found success with such things simply had decent genetics and had their skin tighten up on it's own whilst coincidentally using a specific cream or exercise or whatever. Losing fat helps because the less fat there is the less the loose skin will want to hang. I think you'll be surprised what a bit more fat loss in the area will do.

I agree with @vismal it doesn't look so much like extra skin as much as some extra fat under the skin. I don't mean that in any way insulting, just my observance. I think you'll be amazed how much your body will change in time as you continue to lift and eat healthy. :smiley:

Great job on the weight loss @rickiimarieee
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453193/honest-loose-skin-thoughts-pics/p1
    Here's a great thread share on loose skin after she lost her weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Not only is loose skin thin like the back of your hand, it is usually very wrinkly. I think your picture looks like it is more fat than loose skin. Which as others have said is a good thing. You can lose fat. Loose skin may tighten up, but it is not going to go away unless you have surgery. You are young so there is a good chance that your skin will tighten up, especially if it is just pregnancy weight you are losing and not weight that you have been carrying for several years. Just be patient. You are doing a good job and I'm willing to bet that no one thinks it looks as bad as you think it does. We are almost always our own worst critic.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe try posting a pic where you're not grabbing it, just in a normal position. The photo you posted looks like excess fat, not skin to me.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Going by the picture there appears to be more fat than there is extra skin. Certainly some of the problem is skin but true "loose skin" that is not in combination with excess fat is typically very thin, think the top of your hand thin. Genetics are a big determining factor in how loose skin will develop and how well, if at all, it will go away. It typically takes most people a very long time (years) to see major improvements in loose skin. Some are lucky and it happens quicker, others aren't. I also believe the amount of time the skin was "stretched" is a factor. Pregnancy probably does less damage than say being obese for a decade (speculating on this claim, not stating as evidence based fact but more anecdotal observation). Aside from surgery, the two things you can do are one, lose as much fat as possible so that you know you are dealing with loose skin and not excess fat and two, give it time. Creams, exercises, fasting, and pretty much everything people "swear by" for loose skin isn't proven to work. Most of the people who found success with such things simply had decent genetics and had their skin tighten up on it's own whilst coincidently using a specific cream or exercise or whatever. Losing fat helps because the less fat there is the less the loose skin will want to hang. I think you'll be surprised what a bit more fat loss in the area will do.
    Actually most of it is skin I did grab onto some fat as I said in the post that I still have a bit of fat to lose but I can grab my extra skin on my hips or on my ribs for example.

Again, I'm going from just the one picture but it's my opinion that you're a bit mistaken on what is loose skin and what is small to moderate amounts of subcutaneous fat. Maybe post some additional pictures? Here are some random google image pictures I found that might help also

7xvj70ti1d8o.jpg
    This picture is loose skin with basically no fat around it. It's thin, wrinkled, and you can quite easily tell there is no fat underneath it.

y6xrg1t1f2b4.jpg
    This is a combination of loose skin and fat. It's easy to see that if all the fat beneath was lost there would still be loose skin, probably a fair amount more than the picture above.

12144jk1e7e9.jpg
    This picture is mostly fat with maybe some loose skin. It's hard to tell if there is any loose skin at all and only the person getting leaner would let us know.

Also, don't be discouraged by this. Abdominal fat is better than loose skin IMO for the reasons I listed in my original reply. There isn't much at all you can do for loose skin, there's plenty you can do for abdominal fat.

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Going by the picture there appears to be more fat than there is extra skin. Certainly some of the problem is skin but true "loose skin" that is not in combination with excess fat is typically very thin, think the top of your hand thin. Genetics are a big determining factor in how loose skin will develop and how well, if at all, it will go away. It typically takes most people a very long time (years) to see major improvements in loose skin. Some are lucky and it happens quicker, others aren't. I also believe the amount of time the skin was "stretched" is a factor. Pregnancy probably does less damage than say being obese for a decade (speculating on this claim, not stating as evidence based fact but more anecdotal observation). Aside from surgery, the two things you can do are one, lose as much fat as possible so that you know you are dealing with loose skin and not excess fat and two, give it time. Creams, exercises, fasting, and pretty much everything people "swear by" for loose skin isn't proven to work. Most of the people who found success with such things simply had decent genetics and had their skin tighten up on it's own whilst coincidently using a specific cream or exercise or whatever. Losing fat helps because the less fat there is the less the loose skin will want to hang. I think you'll be surprised what a bit more fat loss in the area will do.
    Actually most of it is skin I did grab onto some fat as I said in the post that I still have a bit of fat to lose but I can grab my extra skin on my hips or on my ribs for example.

Again, I'm going from just the one picture but it's my opinion that you're a bit mistaken on what is loose skin and what is small to moderate amounts of subcutaneous fat. Maybe post some additional pictures? Here are some random google image pictures I found that might help also

7xvj70ti1d8o.jpg
    This picture is loose skin with basically no fat around it. It's thin, wrinkled, and you can quite easily tell there is no fat underneath it.

y6xrg1t1f2b4.jpg
    This is a combination of loose skin and fat. It's easy to see that if all the fat beneath was lost there would still be loose skin, probably a fair amount more than the picture above.

12144jk1e7e9.jpg
    This picture is mostly fat with maybe some loose skin. It's hard to tell if there is any loose skin at all and only the person getting leaner would let us know.

Also, don't be discouraged by this. Abdominal fat is better than loose skin IMO for the reasons I listed in my original reply. There isn't much at all you can do for loose skin, there's plenty you can do for abdominal fat.
    What plenty can I do to get rid of it? I know there's fat there, what would you recommend besides counting calories? I lost 28 pounds so far and I can't seem to lose anymore. I'm stuck. I weigh and measure everything. I eat 1,200 calories
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

7xvj70ti1d8o.jpg

y6xrg1t1f2b4.jpg

12144jk1e7e9.jpg

Here's my stats maybe you can help. I'm 5'4 was 158 now I'm 130.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

7xvj70ti1d8o.jpg

y6xrg1t1f2b4.jpg

12144jk1e7e9.jpg

Still say thats excess fat, Hard to tell with you pulling on it so roughly though. That cant be helpful, Just saying:p Youve lost weight, You know how to lose weight. No super secret when your a lower weight, The numbers just change. Gotta be more tight and careful.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited October 2017
    Options

:laugh: :blush: Sheesh!! I got a bit crazy there trying to get untrapped from the quotes while trimming the post down ...I should of let it be. That's a chunk of time I'll never get back.. talk about being a wee bit obsessive. But hey I'm out of the quotes now and everyone is accurately quoted again!
    Cheers for a great weekend Gang! :smiley:
    @JaydedMiss
    It really just boils down to what's already been shared by the members below... You've been successful at dropping weight in the past, you've mentioned in your first post you weigh and measure "everything". Every single thing?? Oils you might use in a pan to cook with? Things like that add up if they're forgotten.

Can you go through your diary and be sure you're not taking generic foods from MFP food database but using your own? That can make a huge difference when someone randomly picks a piece of chicken and then records it. It could be made completely different, it might help someone if you opened your food diary so they could help you out and see what you might be missing in logging habits. Of course that's up to you but often a person that is stuck realizes with help something that was there and they just didn't see it until someone else noticed. :)

Hang in there, keep going you've come this far don't let the frustration get the better of you. You've dropped the weight, that can be the toughest part next to keeping it off! Enjoy your weekend :smiley:

7xvj70ti1d8o.jpg

y6xrg1t1f2b4.jpg

12144jk1e7e9.jpg

[/quote]
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    . Aside from surgery, the two things you can do are one, lose as much fat as possible so that you know you are dealing with loose skin and not excess fat and two, give it time.

JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Still say thats excess fat, Hard to tell with you pulling on it so roughly though. That cant be helpful, Just saying:p Youve lost weight, You know how to lose weight. No super secret when your a lower weight, The numbers just change.

Gotta be more tight and careful.

Aside from surgery,
    the two things you can do are one, lose as much fat as possible so that you know you are dealing with loose skin and not excess fat and two, give it time.