Struggling to make calories

Options
Hey,
Totally novice question, but when I don't make all my calories for the day (deficit) - and I don't see results... is it likely my body goes into starvation mode making fat more stubborn to burn?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't a thing. Lack of adequate nutrition when you continually under-eat is. Also if you're under-eating and not seeing any results then likely you're not logging correctly and actually eating more than you think.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No. That's a myth.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    it's more likely that you're not tracking either your calories in or calories out accurately. (and by "more likely" i don't mean that there's a possibility that you're actually in starvation mode, which isn't a thing).

what are your stats (height / weight / calorie goals ) and how are you tracking food (eyeballing portions / measuring cups / food scale ) and exercise (gym machines / mfp estimates / hr monitor)?

if you open your diary people may be able to help you target some potential pitfalls.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    No, starvation mode isn't a thing. Either your calorie counting is off, or water weight is masking any fat loss that might have occurred (see also: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/).
  • cantslowdown88
    cantslowdown88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Totally novice question, but when I don't make all my calories for the day (deficit) - and I don't see results... is it likely my body goes into starvation mode making fat more stubborn to burn?

Nope. When you have a calorie deficit you lose weight. When you don't have a calorie deficit you don't lose weight.

However, weight loss can "hide" behind water weight. Time of month - water weight. Sore muscles - water weight. Higher sodium - water weight.

So if you are experiencing 1 week here, or 1 week there with no weight loss......water weight is a possibility.

But if you are experiencing several weeks without weight loss......you aren't eating at a deficit.