Calorie goal

jcraft8
jcraft8 Posts: 7 Member
My calorie goal is 1240 but when I exercise I can eat more.. My question is should I try to stick to 1240 or the new goal? I want to lose weight.

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,992 Member
    I find what most do around here is eat half their exercise calories back...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    What's the definition of "goal?"

That said, calorie burns can be difficult to estimate...so most people start with half and adjust as necessary. It's rather arbitrary and there are better ways to dial your estimate in, but most people don't seem up for that effort for whatever reason.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Yes - eat at least a portion of the extra calories - especially when you have your base goal set so low.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,127 Member
    :) When I am active, I have to eat more to fuel my body for the extra exertion. Just to be safe, use a conservative estimate of calories burned and add only nutrition dense food. Don't use the extra calories to add a candy bar or some other less nutritious food.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    You're far, far more likely to succeed in the long run if you go slower and fuel your activity. So, if your goal is to lose as quickly as possible, then stick with the unreasonably low calories. If instead you want to keep the weight off over time, then fuel your activity.