Rings off for barbell work?

Options
I'm going in for a session with a trainer today so I can learn to use the barbell/squat cage to start SL 5x5.
I've read that it's not good to wear rings (wedding ring/engagement ring) while you lift - is that for someone starting out or is that only a thing if you're lifting heavy?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I'm going in for a session with a trainer today so I can learn to use the barbell/squat cage to start SL 5x5.
    I've read that it's not good to wear rings (wedding ring/engagement ring) while you lift - is that for someone starting out or is that only a thing if you're lifting heavy?

It's largely a personal decision. When I'm doing static lifts, I don't take mine off. When I'm doing Ballistic or Olympic lifts I generally will swap in a silicone ring.

Static
    Curls, Deadlift, Squat, Row, OHP. Kettlebell Getup

Ballistic
    Clean, snatch, Kettlebell swing. Other compound/complex movements where the bar or handle will need to slide or rotate.

If the ring interferes with your grip or presses on a callous, You'll likely also want to remove it.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scratch my ring either. Plus the thought of the ring being pulled down abruptly, taking a bunch of skin with it makes me grimace.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear a ring while lifting... I find they get in the way and get damaged. I wear a silicone ring too
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off. Wouldn't want to damage the ring or my finger.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with safe better than sorry and take them off!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Pardon my naivete... Why would you swap out for a silicone ring for just a workout?

I always take my rings off for weightlifting/kettlebells/TRX--the way that they sit on my finger I end up with a huge callus at the base of my finger if I wear them.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have a silicone ring coming in today! I am a swing dancer and have been wearing a plain sterling silver band ($5 on amazon) instead of my wedding set because of fear of the stones/settings cutting people. My hand often expands at dances, or I leave the ring on all weekend at events and it's painful, so I'm hoping the silicone is better. I ordered this one in copper: https://ensorings.com/rings/thin-elements-silicone-ring/ They have sales all the time- I got mine for $29.98 shipped. Their non-elements ones (not made to look like metal) are $14 shipped and are super popular with people weightlifting on instagram, which is how I saw them.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Pardon my naivete... Why would you swap out for a silicone ring for just a workout?

I always take my rings off for weightlifting/kettlebells/TRX--the way that they sit on my finger I end up with a huge callus at the base of my finger if I wear them.

I got one at first just because I liked the idea of still having some sort of wedding ring on...I don't wear it often anymore but it seemed that guys were less likely to bother me when I had it on.

Now I go to the gym at an earlier much quieter time where everyone is just putting their head down and getting their workout done, so I don't really feel the need. Just leave my rings at home.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    When I was wearing a ring, I wore it during lifting and scratched it up pretty bad...even managed to tear a corner off of it and ripped my finger skin. Now my young, arthritic joints don't allow for much ring wearing at all so I definitely lift ringless as my joints and hands swell while I'm lifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I remove my rings while lifting and running. I don't want them scratched. Also, depending on the weather, my fingers will swell or shrink, making my rings either a bit uncomfortable or likely to slip off, while exercising.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    As if it would make you less married.

You made a vow to the person- the ring is merely a physical symbol of that. If a taking off a piece of metal means your broke your vow- then I would strongly question why you were wearing it in the first place.

Personally I'm with you @mitch16 I think putting on a silicone ring to workout is pointless- it's one more thing to keep track of - and they eventually just break. I also believe a ring is pretty much pointless. the words and intent matter more to me than a trivial piece of metal.

I'm married. and fairly recently too- IMHO it's pointless. I'm no less married by removing a ring. I rarely wear mine- I work out side in construction and on boats.- and I frequently go straight to the gym- the rings are safer at home in their box on most days than they are with me.

It just never occurred to me. I've been married for 22 years and whether the ring is on or off I am committed to my husband--the ring is symbolic, but not the end-all be-all. Although--even when the ring is off (I don't wear it at the riding stable, when I'm surfing/swimming in open water, when I'm cycling, when I'm doing major yard work...) there is still the tan line and the narrowing of my finger where the ring was--it's my virtual ring!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yeah- it's just another thing to spend your money on IMHO.

I never have understood them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think I might want a silicone ring if I had a job where having a metal ring could possibly cause problems (e.g., construction, etc.) I like wearing my rings so I could see wanting to wear something during that 40-odd hours per week in their place. But 90 minutes or so a day without a ring isn't a big deal to me so I wouldn't get one for exercise. Also, I'm not implying that somebody who doesn't want one doesn't like wearing a ring. Just to each his own I guess.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I dumped my ring after wearing it 2 months after getting married. The whole ring thing "as a sign of love and fidelity" is stupid. A ring just indicates you're married (possibly). It doesn't indicate you're happy in your marriage. It also doesn't indicate actually fidelity or love.

And one can be totally faithful and honest WITHOUT one. If it feels like it's in the way of working out, take it off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Can't you just put the ring on a chain around your neck? Then you're still wearing it (for you won't-take-it-off folks.)

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    rings don't plug holes...
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I started out just taking my rings off before heading to the gym. Turns out, I'm horrible at remembering to put them back on. I'll notice when I'm out of the house and my finger feels naked. So, not I swap for a silicone ring and then swap back. I know that I'm still just as married without it...but it makes me happy. (I put on the silicone ring before heading out Tuesday night and I'm still wearing it. Oops.)
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    i never wear rings when I work out