Has anyone tried making homemade Qwest bars? Were they a success?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I have a homemade protein bar recipe that I LOVE but my husband is doing a low carb thing and according to him, my bars are too carb-y . He asked me to stock up on some Qwest bars, which we both like, but they're too dang pricey for how quickly we go through them. I have found some recipes online for Qwest bars but I'm curious to see if anyone else here has tried them. Were they hard to make? Did they taste anything like a Qwest bar? Have you tried making a big batch at once? Tell me your secrets!

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Costco sells something like a generic quest bar, but with only two flavors - choc chip and brownie. I personally think they are too dry, but the choc chip is a reasonable sub for the quest one. And they are WAY cheaper. Worth trying to see if they work for you. If not, go back to trying homemade.

I did try once to make them. They changed their fiber a year or two ago and I no longer like them. The old fiber was ISO syrup, which you can buy to make them yourself (using a ziplock bag to form them) and even buy the quest protein powder to make them with (a little cheaper than their bars that way). ISO is WAY tastier than the soluable corn fiber they use now. That change totally broke my addiction to them (and I was eating 3-6 a day!).
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Costco sells something like a generic quest bar, but with only two flavors - choc chip and brownie. I personally think they are too dry, but the choc chip is a reasonable sub for the quest one. And they are WAY cheaper. Worth trying to see if they work for you. If not, go back to trying homemade.

I did try once to make them. They changed their fiber a year or two ago and I no longer like them. The old fiber was ISO syrup, which you can buy to make them yourself (using a ziplock bag to form them) and even buy the quest protein powder to make them with (a little cheaper than their bars that way). ISO is WAY tastier than the soluable corn fiber they use now. That change totally broke my addiction to them (and I was eating 3-6 a day!).

Great idea! If it's still cheaper AND saves me time, I'll all about it! Now to figure out who I know with a Costco membership....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    3t3mptt9tzqz.png
    I've not made quest bars but I made these and got an even higher protein content. They turned out pretty good, and you can make them a thousand different ways with just a basic base dough. Huge too
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    3t3mptt9tzqz.png
    I've not made quest bars but I made these and got an even higher protein content. They turned out pretty good, and you can make them a thousand different ways with just a basic base dough. Huge too

Can't beat a cookie! Will you share your recipe?
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    Options
    3t3mptt9tzqz.png

Can't beat a cookie! Will you share your recipe?

I got it from this website, I just tweaked the ingredients a bit, like using coconut milk, and a salted caramel protein powder etc etc.

https://thebigmansworld.com/2017/06/21/copycat-lenny-larrys-complete-cookies-10-flavors/
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    Options
    85 gram, Raw Organic Coconut Flour
    136 g, Salted Caramel Protein Powder - Single Packet
    8 tbsp, Almond Butter
    6 tbsp(s), Coconut Milk - Dairy Free
    4 Tbspn, White Chocolate Morsels
    1 pack, macadamia nuts
    4 Tbsp (21g), Honey
    1tsp butter extract (optional, I think it's a good idea though)
    1tsp Vanilla extract

here was my ingredients the nutrition was for 1/2 cookie:
    294 calories
    15g fat
    23g carbs
    19g protein
    6g fiber
    26% calcium

They were very dense and big, I tried to make them the same size as Lenny's. I will continue to tweak the ingredients though, they could have been a bit sweeter I probably wouldn't use honey again I think some other non liquid sweetener might be better. But they were still good.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

Great idea! If it's still cheaper AND saves me time, I'll all about it! Now to figure out who I know with a Costco membership....

Don't get too excited. They are nothing like a Quest bar. It's impossible to eat them without microwaving them first, and even then, you have to chew and chew and chew. They are much cheaper, but you will have to adjust your expectations immensely.