What is 0.2 of a teaspoon?

Options
Not sure if I am measuring that right, but is it equivalent to 1/8 a teaspoon? Plugged in Simply Organic cinnamon and it said serving size 0.2 tsp, I just hit the check mark. Any body know or have ideas? Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Probably closer to a 1/4 tspn.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Usually when you plug decimals into MFP, they display rounded or truncated, but the calorie count still matches what you entered. If you put in 0.25 (1/4) it shows as 0.2.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I do not trust generic or brand spices in the MFP Food Database.

I search for the MFP entries imported from the USDA National Nutrient Database in the format: "spices ground xxxx."

Search for "spices ground cinnamon" and use that.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's a dash.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mandyt2937 wrote: »
    Not sure if I am measuring that right, but is it equivalent to 1/8 a teaspoon? Plugged in Simply Organic cinnamon and it said serving size 0.2 tsp, I just hit the check mark. Any body know or have ideas? Thanks

Math check - do you really think that 0.2 of something equals 1/8th or is 1/8th just an option that's set in the database?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    0.2 is 1/5. A teaspoon is 5 ml. The serving size would be 1 ml. I don't know what use serving size is. You take the amount you need. If you are logging spices, do yourself a favor and stop. Spices has almost no calories, at least not in amounts people normally use.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    0.2 is 1/5. A teaspoon is 5 ml. The serving size would be 1 ml. I don't know what use serving size is. You take the amount you need. If you are logging spices, do yourself a favor and stop. Spices has almost no calories, at least not in amounts people normally use.

*facepalm* I forgot that sometimes 0.2 might actually be used on purpose.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was 1/5 of a teaspoon. Although as it's cinnamon I really wouldn't worry, just add according to taste.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    A tsp is a pile with a base about the size of your pinkie (men)/ring (women) fingernail (depending on the size of your hands), so 1/5 of that is like 2-3 pinches - essentially nothing. A Tbsp is about the size of your thumb (= 3 tsp), which u can estimate from the first joint to the tip. A serving of meat is about the size of a bar of soap (typically 2 oz, but could be 3oz depending on raw/cooked, density of the meat, etc.). Weigh/measure is of course more accurate, but good to know these estimates in case you're out to eat, or don't have food scales/measuring cup to calc everything.

I agree with other, don't count spices in your meals - calories from them are so minute (unless you using sugar, honey, etc., something that is nothing but calories).
  • DX2JX2
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Just because I'm not sure if there's any uncertainty:

1/8 = 0.125
    1/5 = 0.2
    1/4 = 0.25

Now turn those into percents and really blow everyone's minds. :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    On a kitchen scale, treat 0.2 tsp as "1 gram" or "1 ml". For considering precision, anything from 0.6 g to 1.4 g should register as "1 g". Heck, it's cinnamon. Put more.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

1/8 = 0.125
    1/5 = 0.2
    1/4 = 0.25

I'm a very mathematical person, so I sometimes need a reminder that arithmetic isn't a second language for many people.

And FWIW,
    1/8 = 0.125 = 12.5%
    1/5 = 0.2 = 20%
    1/4 = 0.25 = 25%
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

1/8 = 0.125
    1/5 = 0.2
    1/4 = 0.25

I really hope it wouldn't blow anyone's mind lol
  • DX2JX2
    Options

1/8 = 0.125
    1/5 = 0.2
    1/4 = 0.25

I'm a very mathematical person, so I sometimes need a reminder that arithmetic isn't a second language for many people.

And FWIW,
    1/8 = 0.125 = 12.5%
    1/5 = 0.2 = 20%
    1/4 = 0.25 = 25%

I think you just stumbled onto the 'new math'! But instead of numbers, new mathers would use a graphical depiction of apple slices or something.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    What is 1/8 tsp cinnamon? Not enough cinnamon (IMO). ;)

Seriously: 1/8 of a teaspoon is 0.125 teaspoons, which, if logged, will round for display (but not calculation) to 0.1 teaspoons.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It's a dash.

It's nearly a quarter teaspoon. That would be a very heavy-handed dash. Or three or four dashes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    It's a dash.

A dash is 1/8th...according to my measuring spoons
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options

So if you used 0.2 tsp of salt (which is technically a spice) you wouldn't count it because it has no calories? Note that that much salt has 500mg sodium.