Bulking/Gaining Weight Help

Options
So I've recently, within the last year and half, lost about 40ish pounds of body fat and right now I weigh roughly 172-175 range depending on what I'm eating, drinking, or time of day. I'm at a point where I really want to put on more muscle. I'm very new to a lifestyle of cutting and bulking because I've really only been working hard for my body about two years. As you can tell by the title I'm looking to get a little bigger and "bulk" up this winter and was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I've already learned that I need to eat more than my maintanence levels but should I be eating a more carb focused diet or protein focused. Again, any information would help! Thanks for time. Also, gaining a little fat is not a problem I just don't want to gain too much as I bulk.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    So as a male, you want to eat around 250-500 cals per day over maintenance to gain 0.5-1lb per week to minimize fat gains.

In terms of macros, you want to aim for 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight, 0.35-0.6g fat per lb bodyweight, then fill the rest with carbs. These are minimum amounts, so you can play around with the numbers to a level you feel comfortable. I would say that during a bulk, carbs are very important for energy levels as well as muscle building, so I like to keep them on the higher side.

Also be sure you are following a progressive lifting program for best results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So as a male, you want to eat around 250-500 cals per day over maintenance to gain 0.5-1lb per week to minimize fat gains.

In terms of macros, you want to aim for 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight, 0.35-0.6g fat per lb bodyweight, then fill the rest with carbs. These are minimum amounts, so you can play around with the numbers to a level you feel comfortable. I would say that during a bulk, carbs are very important for energy levels as well as muscle building, so I like to keep them on the higher side.

Also be sure you are following a progressive lifting program for best results.

I agree with the 0.5lb/week weight gain goal. But would like to point out that the protein minimum should be based on lean body mass so 0.8 gram per lb of lbm is more than adequate, especially in a caloric surplus, as carbs are king for gaining muscle. Protein is much more important when cutting than when bulking.