Riced veggies in place of rice

Options

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of riced cauliflower - I am a huge fan.

I usually buy the Hanover brand that comes in a steamer bag. Just microwave it for 4 minutes and then squeeze out the water with a clean kitchen cloth! I think squeezing out the water is an important step, otherwise it will water down anything you put on it. Also, it absorbs any liquid which makes it that much better.

jf481v4v4imf.jpg

An entire bag (2 1/2 cups) is only 63 calories - compared to white rice which would be 500 calories!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Since water content seems to be a problem, has anyone tried roasting the riced cauliflower and if so, did it eliminate the need to squeeze out the water?
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Since water content seems to be a problem, has anyone tried roasting the riced cauliflower and if so, did it eliminate the need to squeeze out the water?

I actually never squeeze out the water...i just saute for a long time and the water evaporates.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I "dry fry" mine in a pan, with herbs and spices.. Never had a problem with too much water.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    hughjazz74 wrote: »

I actually never squeeze out the water...i just saute for a long time and the water evaporates.

Doesnt it get too mushy if you saute it for too long? Ive been having the water issue also. I saute from frozen bags.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can eat rice. Or even rice noodles. What are your Macros?
  • hughjazz74
    Options
    hughjazz74 wrote: »

Doesnt it get too mushy if you saute it for too long? Ive been having the water issue also. I saute from frozen bags.

ohh, maybe that's the difference...I've been doing it from raw (trader joe's bags). I add maybe a 1/4 c. of water and let it simmer for at least 30 min. Since it takes a while to make, I usually make a large batch and then use as I need for recipes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Thats only a problem if you are making pizza crust. For riced or mashed, not at all. Now, mind you, this will never have the texture of beautiful jasmin or basmati rice.

Several posts have mentioned squeezing for riced. But maybe that's only if you are using frozen.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and I don't agree with each other. But, I love riced broccoli.
  • KindaOverThis
    KindaOverThis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use riced cauliflower to make hash browns. Take 3 cups of riced cauliflower, microwave for 3 minutes and place cauliflower on a kitchen towel and squeeze excess water. Add seasonings of your choice, add 3/4 cup grated cheese of your choice and one egg to cauliflower, mix all ingredients. Mold into hash browns and place them on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.... enjoy.

That sounds DELICIOUS!
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8HbnLxMApU

Honestly, i just add some soy sauce and sriracha usually to my cauliflower fried rice and I'm able to trick myself pretty well and get all the veggies I want in for the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thats only a problem if you are making pizza crust. For riced or mashed, not at all. Now, mind you, this will never have the texture of beautiful jasmin or basmati rice.

Several posts have mentioned squeezing for riced. But maybe that's only if you are using frozen.

I use my from frozen all the time. No difference. Just be sure to heat it up in a pan on low heat.
    I make it at home myself when the cauliflower is on sale, portion and freeze. Much cheaper than buying the stuff in a bag.

It's insane how expensive cauliflower is where I live. We only eat a lot of it when it's in season, which it will be again in just a few weeks.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I did roast some a while back because the recipe specifically called for it (was a soup, so not sure if it got rid of the water).

If you are just concerned about getting out the water pre-heating an oven and then roasting it takes much longer - it takes only a few seconds to squeeze out the water. Be sure to use a kitchen glove because it will be hot (if using the frozen bags that you reheat in the microwave).

• Kimblesnbits13
    Options

I use my from frozen all the time. No difference. Just be sure to heat it up in a pan on low heat.
    I make it at home myself when the cauliflower is on sale, portion and freeze. Much cheaper than buying the stuff in a bag.

Oh that's a good idea. Do you just freeze in ziplock bags? And also how long do you heat on low?
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a wok with lots of vegetables and and eggs. Resembles an asian-inspired egg fried rice. I don't notice that it's not "rice" but I've never been a big rice person. Add soy sauce and you're good to go.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    bump....going to 1,200 calories budget and need all the low cal ideas I can get (besides eating nothing veggies). Riced cauliflower seems as a great option instead of rice with my beans, and grilled meats.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options

Oh that's a good idea. Do you just freeze in ziplock bags? And also how long do you heat on low?

This is the process.
    #1. Cut up the cauliflower.
    #2. Place some in the food processor (not a blender ie. Vitamix).
    #3. Pulse until it resembles "rice" grains.
    #4. Weight in the portions you like and place in a small ziplock bag.
    #5 Freeze.

Cooking:
    You can either:
    - place in a microwave to warm up from frozen
    - place in a pan on low heat until heated through
    - let it defrost in a fridge and then stir fry with veggies
    - boil is a bit of milk and blend for a pure

Hmmm and you NEVER get watery cauli-rice with any of these methods? I have a couple bags of trader joes frozen cauliflower rice that I will use up before doing my own. It seems to be inconsistent. I saute it on a pan and sometimes it gets watery and sometimes it's fine. I'm not sure what the issue is...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

This is the process.
    #1. Cut up the cauliflower.
    #2. Place some in the food processor (not a blender ie. Vitamix).
    #3. Pulse until it resembles "rice" grains.
    #4. Weight in the portions you like and place in a small ziplock bag.
    #5 Freeze.

Cooking:
    You can either:
    - place in a microwave to warm up from frozen
    - place in a pan on low heat until heated through
    - let it defrost in a fridge and then stir fry with veggies
    - boil is a bit of milk and blend for a pure

Hmmm and you NEVER get watery cauli-rice with any of these methods? I have a couple bags of trader joes frozen cauliflower rice that I will use up before doing my own. It seems to be inconsistent. I saute it on a pan and sometimes it gets watery and sometimes it's fine. I'm not sure what the issue is...

Never had any issues with it being too soggy, unless I add liquid to it, then it turns into mash.

It could just be difference in what people consider 'too soggy'.
  • hughjazz74
    Options
    I like to think I'm eating mashed potatoes with cheese and sour cream...maybe that's why I don't mind if they get too mashed :)
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The one thing I learned from my one dismal experience with cauliflower rice is that the calories in basmati rice are sooo worth it.