beyond confused....

I've looked up how many calories I should eat a million times, I started at 312.6 lbs after I gained all the weight I'd lost the first time. Planning my wedding and working 2 jobs really messed up my diet. Anyways, I'm happily married now and have been going to the gym 5 nights a week for about 2 months now. I'm 289.9 lbs as of today on eating 1800 calories, the problem I have is idk If I should be eating more or if 1800 is enough. I've looked up 1800 is the lowest a man should go, and I do hiit cardio for 30 minutes and then an hour long workout. I make sure I drink my water and bcaas and get enough sleep along with a day and a half of rest. Any advice or suggestions would help tremendously.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Do you eat back any of your exercise calories?
  • ckhoilan01
    ckhoilan01 Posts: 3 Member
    Nope, I just get my 1800 calories.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Are you measuring, and if so, are your inches shrinking? If yes, then it's working and keep it up!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    It's generally advised to eat back a portion of your exercise calories. The extra exercise is good for you for sure but at the same time it's extra activity you're asking your body to do and it's a good idea to fuel at least some of that. Some people will usually advise eating about half of your estimated burn, and you should still be in enough of a deficit to not affect your weight loss efforts. If it does, then just cut back a bit on how much of the exercise calories you eat. I think so long as your weight loss isn't more than 2lbs a week, you should be on the right track. And congrats on your weight loss so far, and you wedding :smile:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    you can eat back your exercise calories, they are not considered part of your already set deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Are you losing weight? Yes > Do you feel good, have decent energy? Yes > Keep doing what you're doing.
    Are you losing weight? Yes > Do you feel good, have decent energy? No > Eat a bit more.
    Are you losing weight? No > Do you feel good, have decent energy? Yes > Eat a bit less.
    Are you losing weight? No > Do you feel good, have decent energy? No > Have a more thorough conversation.

Pretty much this...

Also, at your weight it's probably fine...but you could also likely lose on more. I'm 5'11" and started at 220 Lbs and lost about a pound per week eating around 2200 calories per day after exercise.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    If I'm mathing it right, it sounds like you are averaging 2-3 pounds lost a week, although I would guess that first week or two probably accounted for maybe five pounds with water weight? So maybe 2 pounds a week, which is right on track. Assuming you are not feeling weak/miserable at your current calorie level, you should be fine sticking at that level for a while.

I would note just for your own knowledge that given your current weight and rate of loss, there is a very good chance that you are actually eating a decent bit more than 1800 calories. I say this because I am currently losing weight on 1800 calories and I am female, short, and weigh 100 and change less than you. Even accounting for other variables, I would guess you would be losing faster if you were actually eating 1800 calories. But don't worry! This is totally fine and very common - the important thing is that you are losing weight at a respectable clip! It's just something you may want to keep in mind, because you are going to get to a point where your weight loss slows, and that's when you want to be sure you're measuring your calorie intake as accurately as possible.
  • oreo_cookies_1992
    oreo_cookies_1992 Posts: 42 Member
    I personally feel like for your current size that 1800 is kind of low especially if you're doing exercise. But maybe that's just me.

If you set your stats up properly, with either a 1lb or 2lb weight loss weekly, proper activity, then eat the number of calories MFP gives you and then eat back half of the calories you burn from exercise. You should still be in a defiect and lose weight at a steady rate :)