working out

Options
This might be dumb, but I honestly don't know. I have READ on the internet, not entirely sure of the website but it said if you workout before you eat in the morning you will burn more fat because your body uses the fat to fuel your body during a workout. Is that true?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This might be dumb, but I honestly don't know. I have READ on the internet, not entirely sure of the website but it said if you workout before you eat in the morning you will burn more fat because your body uses the fat to fuel your body during a workout. Is that true?

You burn more fat for fuel for that particular activity...you do not burn more net fat for the day. Your body is constantly cycling between fat storage and oxidation.

Endurance athletes often do some fasted training because it helps them to utilize fat for fuel more efficiently...but they're not burning more total body fat in a day...just that particular activity. I'm in maintenance and do endurance cycling and often train fasted...I'm not burning fat off my body and losing weight by training fasted...I'm just utilizing more fat for energy for that particular activity.

You burn more fat sleeping than anything else you do...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Not really...
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You burn more fat for fuel for that particular activity...you do not burn more net fat for the day. Your body is constantly cycling between fat storage and oxidation.

Endurance athletes often do some fasted training because it helps them to utilize fat for fuel more efficiently...but they're not burning more total body fat in a day...just that particular activity. I'm in maintenance and do endurance cycling and often train fasted...I'm not burning fat off my body and losing weight by training fasted...I'm just utilizing more fat for energy for that particular activity.

You burn more fat sleeping than anything else you do...

Thank you!