Weights for the Ladies

Options
2»

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I used to lift weights but I find resistance training using my own body weight was what REALLY changed my body's composition and after a plateau, practically shoved me into my goal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    I’ve recently reprioritized my exercise to be more lifting instead of cardio. Not much of a difference yet, but I see slight recomposition despite now weighing 3 lbs more on average after 6 months.

I do solely dumbbells - started with 10lb dumbbells and now using 15lb. About to buy 20lb to keep progressive with increasing weights. I do a personal variation of StrongLifts 5x5 3x a week - more focused on higher reps to reach failure versus higher weight. So far, I am happy with the results coupled with the convenience of doing the routine at home before work.
    If you want to see more difference in your body, using heavier weights at lower reps is the recommended approach. I find I need 2-3x the weight for squats as for OHP, which is not unusual, so make sure you have weights that challenge all body parts.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @sofchak, What is your personal version of the StrongLifts 5X5?? Many thanks.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @griffinca2 -

Personal routine is 3x a week, 3 rounds of 1 minute workout for each of the 5 below listed exercises with 20 second rest in between each for a total workout in about 20 minutes.

Bicep curl to OHP
    Deadlift to row
    Weighted squats
    Bench press
    Plank (body weight only)

All of these are variations of SL5x5 exercises except the plank. I started out with 10lb dumbbells. Moved to 15lb dumbbells once I was comfortable with my form. Now I am actively transitioning to 20lb dumbbells on all but the bicep curl to OHP. I struggle with OHP at 15 lb dumbbells, so going to give that one particular exercise a little extra time at current weight. Once I am ready, I’ll add the extra weight to my rotation maybe for first round only to start or til failure (whichever comes first).

Point here is to still progressively increase your weights like you would with the regular SL5x5 program. I just do more reps with lower weights. No idea if my personal plan will work long term, but it keeps me motivated for now without a lot of additional monetary investment.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @lorrpb - I was following the formal SL 5x5 program for a while, but found that I couldn’t stay motivated to hit up the gym early morning consistently to keep progress up. I find that when I have equipment at home, I can’t make up excuses. Eventually I will invest the money and have the room for a proper home gym. For now, just using what I have and investing a little to keep progressing going and motivation high.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    YouTube is your friend.
    Also, Bodybuilding.com has a ton of workout programs, and a quiz you can take to figure out which ones fit your needs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Thanks, @lorrpb - I was following the formal SL 5x5 program for a while, but found that I couldn’t stay motivated to hit up the gym early morning consistently to keep progress up. I find that when I have equipment at home, I can’t make up excuses. Eventually I will invest the money and have the room for a proper home gym. For now, just using what I have and investing a little to keep progressing going and motivation high.
    Good job to keep it going!
    I do most of my weights at home. Check out Goodwill and Craigslist for heavier, less expensive weights. I use dumbbells for everything except deadlift, and got a 60" bar for that because I don't have room for a full gym.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @sofchak, Many thanks. Thought abt trying it but wasn't sure how to go about it. May be moving in the near future and won't have access to a gym for a while (I have some dumbbells (up to 15 lbs)) I can use. B)
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend two books. Strong Curves by Bret Conteras and New Rules of Lifting for Women by Alwyn Cosgrove. They both have e-book versions but I found the paperbacks more useful as it was easier to flip between pages.

Both of these books taught me so much about lifting and they include detailed plans with step by step instructions and pictures for each lift. I decided to go with the Strong Curves program but I will probably return to the other book frequently and I think either book would be a great starting place for you.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes. 3x/week.

I started with Stronglifts, then modified it to shorten time in gym (4x6 vs 5x5, and eventually switching out BB for DB on some stuff to be able to superset it in - this also requires some upping reps to make it harder rather than just weight since I'm too cheap to buy magnetic fractional weights for the DB's. I do have a pair of 1.25 lb plates OTOH); and recently added in some glute work (see Strong Curves/Bret Conteras). Thankfully my gym is not busy before work and I don't start work until 9 am. The books Strong Curves, Starting Strength, Stronglifts are good places to start.

The BB arm stuff in those programs can be easily switched out for DB's. (Note that you'd have to drop down the weight a bit since your weaker arm will no longer be getting help and it will take more work to stabilize the weight compared to a barbell.) The leg stuff not so much without sacrificing down the weight. There isn't really a good way to carry the same amount of weight in DB's as for a BB squat; and grip strength (no mixed grip) would become an issue much sooner on deadlifts.

I most recently do the following or something similar:
    (A)- SQ/horiz push & pull/Triceps
    * BB Squat/DB Rows or BP/Abs(dip bar) - this gets me about 2-2.5 minutes rest between sets of squats and rows without sitting on my *kitten* or taxing later needed muscles (similar for other groupings below, except accessory lifts where I don't leave quite as much time between sets and only do 2 sets).
    * DB BP or Rows/Glute item(glute bridge or back extensions)/Abs or RDL or low weight lunges (to fill rest of rest time)*
    * Machine Triceps Press AKA seated dip/abd or add machines or abs
    (B) - DL/Vert push & pull/biceps
    * BB DL / DB OHP / abs(dip bar)
    * Lat pulldown/ abs or abd/add machines
    * Glute item / bicep curls

(A lot of the ordering/grouping above is also related to the relative locations of equipment in my gym and takes advantage of there being no wait for equipment between 7:40-8:40 am)
  • cassglass
    cassglass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've used a personal trainer every other week at my gym for the past four years. She designs a new program for me every two or three months which takes into account joint problems due to arthritis.