Is it time for a break from weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think that diet should be a lifestyle not a thing you do once and awhile to loose weight, you need to eat healthy and in the right amounts everyday forever, that's how you loose weight or maintain weight the only difference is you take away calories and increase exercise to loose weight or you stay on the same calories and exercise moderately to maintain weight. The foods you eat should always be healthy and size appropriate. So as for a " diet break" no don't go off your diet unless its not one you like in which case I suggest you research meals you like that you can eat to stay in your calorie and health range and switch to that forever. I expect to be eating the way I am now until the day I die . I don't even know what a diet break would mean? Eating oreos and McDonalds or just eating as much food as you want and not thinking about the nutrition of it ? Either way that's a bad mentality to have. Always be aware of your meals ,making sure they're whole meals,healthy,clean and don't overeat. Simple

@Chewypraline

It means having a break from being in a calorie deficit - it doesn't mean changing the foods you eat now or intend eating for life. Just a period of weeks eating at maintenance, just a pause and not an excuse to splurge. It could be seen as a very good practice for maintenance when you get to goal weight too.
    It helps reset and reinvigorate yourself both physically and mentally.

OP - it seems a perfect way to address these issues...
    In the last two months, my very consistent weight loss has slowed. My motivation is starting to drift
    Much better to take a positive and controlled response rather than risk falling off the wagon.

Yes, entirely different to just going off track and eating whatever for awhile. That's a disastrous idea! As I said above, I'm on a diet break myself atm, all I've done is add a few extra things in to up my calorie intake to maintenance level. My baseline meals are essentially unchanged, and I've still logged everything. And I have very much thought about the nutrition of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I think that diet should be a lifestyle not a thing you do once and awhile to loose weight, you need to eat healthy and in the right amounts everyday forever, that's how you loose weight or maintain weight the only difference is you take away calories and increase exercise to loose weight or you stay on the same calories and exercise moderately to maintain weight. The foods you eat should always be healthy and size appropriate. So as for a " diet break" no don't go off your diet unless its not one you like in which case I suggest you research meals you like that you can eat to stay in your calorie and health range and switch to that forever. I expect to be eating the way I am now until the day I die . I don't even know what a diet break would mean? Eating oreos and McDonalds or just eating as much food as you want and not thinking about the nutrition of it ? Either way that's a bad mentality to have. Always be aware of your meals ,making sure they're whole meals,healthy,clean and don't overeat. Simple

@Chewypraline

It means having a break from being in a calorie deficit - it doesn't mean changing the foods you eat now or intend eating for life. Just a period of weeks eating at maintenance, just a pause and not an excuse to splurge. It could be seen as a very good practice for maintenance when you get to goal weight too.

In the last two months, my very consistent weight loss has slowed. My motivation is starting to drift
    Much better to take a positive and controlled response rather than risk falling off the wagon.

Yes, entirely different to just going off track and eating whatever for awhile. That's a disastrous idea! As I said above, I'm on a diet break myself atm, all I've done is add a few extra things in to up my calorie intake to maintenance level. My baseline meals are essentially unchanged, and I've still logged everything. And I have very much thought about the nutrition of it.

i often think its as much mental as physical as I straight away feel better with 200 extra cals!

i don't go all the way up to maintenance, i go from net 1600 to net 1800 and maintenance is net 1900. saving that for Christmas week :laugh:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

@Chewypraline

i often think its as much mental as physical as I straight away feel better with 200 extra cals!

i don't go all the way up to maintenance, i go from net 1600 to net 1800 and maintenance is net 1900. saving that for Christmas week :laugh:

I'm just enjoying my double sized chocolate peanut butter protein shakes!! And I should be back at maintenance for reals in the not too distant future (unless I do something crazy like decide to drop a bit more before recomping, but I'm thinking not...).

It's funny, cos it's not like I haven't maintained before, but this is the first proper, logged, intentional by the book 'diet break' that I've actually done. It's been interesting!
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'd recommend a full diet break. Have a read of this for the how to :)

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Cheers, going to try this myself, have family history of thyroid issues so could be linked to my slow down.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    Because no progress is better than slow progress? I'm not seeing the logic here. Keep going until you're happy with where you're at.

Did you bother to read the link I provided up thread @wolfer ? If you can't understand the logic, then I'm guessing not. Again, there are very solid physiological reasons why periodic breaks from eating at a deficit are a damn good idea.

I can't imagine that this poster or the others that are saying not to take a break read the link. There are valid hormonal and physiological reasons to normalize your diet to maintenance periodically. But the key point is, it makes weight loss get back on track and on schedule!! Cause physiology. Now if you want to keep banging your head against the adaptations that cause the slowdown, go right ahead. Me, I'm just coming off a 2 week break where I ate at maintenance. Back in deficit and losing weight. Back on schedule.

From the article in the link
    When folks diet and lose weight/fat, the body adjusts metabolic rate downwards. While a majority of this is simply due to weighing less (smaller bodies burn fewer calories), there is also an adaptive component, a greater decrease in metabolic rate than would be predicted due to changes in things like leptin, insulin, thyroid hormones, etc.
    By moving to roughly maintenance for a couple of weeks, many of those hormones are given time to recover. Thyroid hormones come back up, as does leptin. This is a big part of the reason for the recommendation to raise carbs to 100-150 grams per day as a minimum.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am not dieting anymore. Been there, took breaks, cheat days, and so forth. All of which never helped me keep any progress I had made to that point. I have changed what I eat how much of it I eat and am more aware of what I put in my body. This approach is taking far longer than my dieting days "which I could never maintain" but when I lose now I am more confident it will stay off. This is only my opinion. Many people have success with other approachs this is the one that has worked for me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I am not dieting anymore. Been there, took breaks, cheat days, and so forth. All of which never helped me keep any progress I had made to that point. I have changed what I eat how much of it I eat and am more aware of what I put in my body. This approach is taking far longer than my dieting days "which I could never maintain" but when I lose now I am more confident it will stay off. This is only my opinion. Many people have success with other approachs this is the one that has worked for me.

I don't think you appreciate the term "diet break" in the sense it is being used. A person should eat for weight loss the same way they want to eat for the rest of their lives, just in smaller quantities, and a person wouldn't necessarily need a "break" from that. But a person's body systems can definitely use a break from prolonged calorie deficits.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I started at 241 and am on my way to 165 or thereabouts (maybe 160, we will see). I am plannnig on taking a month or so off deficit and into maintenance once I hit 200. That puts me out of obese and into overweight category, should occur right about when the holidays start, and maybe will get my thyroid happier again (My hypo gets worse with weight loss and we are hoping it will stabilize once I'm eating at maintenance instead. I have been going in every 2-3 weeks for blood checks so my doctor can adjust my medication accordingly).