A New Low :(

Options
And not the good kind of low, the bad low. Like, wow.. I have a new fat picture to use as a before photo. Like, wow... I wish I was as fat as my old "fat" picture.

ohmygoddd.jpg

Look at this. You would think I was 200+ pounds and a size 16, no?

This is why I hate my picture taken. That dress is actually supposed to be a size 8 (bought at JCPenney), and I weigh 153 lbs, standing at 5'2" :(

At the very least this image is burned into my brain as motivation and will continue to be for a good while. When I saw this picture of myself, I cried. Gee, you think it's time for a change??

Anyone with any kind of knowledge or experience want to take a look at my body and kindly advise me as to what regimen might work best for my frame? I'm planning on doing a combination of cardio and strength training..but I do worry that I will "bulk up" only because I feel as though I will never be slender and always a little husky.

Replies

• mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up :( You're so beautiful! How long have you been at the weight loss game? It takes time. Are there any exercises you find that you particularly enjoy? Because if you don't like em', you won't stick to em'!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and bust out the resistance/strength training. You won't bulk up, so put that thought out of your mind. Stick with it, try not to get frustrated, and it will work.
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    keep on keeping on
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Unfortunately there are several things I notice about this picture.

1 the angle you are standing at is not good.
    2 possibly the colour and pattern of the fabric was not the best for you.

I find dresses always look better on the hanger. Yes, there may be more to go, but don't beat yourself up keep going. being short does not help.

all the best
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The key for me is an activity I enjoy. If I hate my exercise, I won't stick with it. I am in love with my stationary bike. Therefore I am very consistant with it. Where I have trouble is staying under calories. I am doing so good for the past week or so with the eating, excited! Eating is by far my weakness.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Cameras are not kind, and neither is the pattern on your dress. You are beautiful. Keep working, don't give up, you will get there.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I can recommend a book to you, Bottoms Up by Joyce Vedral. This book helped me get a gorgeous figure in the past, so I am starting it again. It is all strength training and resistance training, however it also doubles as cardio. You can get it pretty cheap because it is an older book, also is out on video. It absolutely does work and it works fast. I used it and went from a size 20 to a size 14 in only 8 weeks. You are young, and that is an advantage in losing weight. Give it a try, you won't be sorry you did. If only I had continued with it, then I would not be where I am today, I seriously regret that I ever quit following her exercise plan because it worked great and quickly to get me in good physical condition.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! Please stop putting yourself down. You are making changes, that's a great thing.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and some pics are just terribly taken so don't beat yourself up. I would combine cardio and weights. I personally lift light weights and do cardio (run every day or every other) I do Jari love get ripped 1000 its an awesome dvd that combines weights and cardio:)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the kind words and advice. Unfortunately, this is not my first time seeing myself fat, so it is less shocking but it hit me hard this time around because I didn't think I was any bigger than I've previously been..but clearly I am.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think you are absolutely beautiful. We all have had the "oh, my goodness" photos and possibly cried over them. That's why a lot of people are here. You are not alone and there is no where to go but up! :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Strength training will not make you bulk up. It'll do the exact opposite.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey we've all got to start somewhere. You are so pretty!!

I've been there. There was a photo that did me in, too.

Listen, there isn't ONE plan, one workout, one magic bullet that is guaranteed to work. You just have to find things that work into your lifestyle and stick with those changes. Start making one positive change a week; adding a new healthy snack to the rotation, trying new recipes that are healthier, trying a new exercise that is fun and keeps you challenged and motivated. Everyone is different. The challenge is finding what works for you.

You can add me as a friend if you want - I am a shorty as well, 5'3, and it took me about six months to drop twenty pounds. I like to encourage my friends and my inbox is always open if you ever need advice, want to share recipes, workout tips or just chat! :)

You can do it!
  • hendrixlongacre
    hendrixlongacre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'M SORRY YOUR HAVING A "FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELF" DAY.I WISH THERE WAS SOME
    MAGIC WORDS OF WISDOM I COULD GIVE YOU, BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY. HOWEVERY YOU ARE
    ON HERE TODAY SO YOU OBVIOUSLY WANT TO MAKE SOME CHANGES. JUST LET IT GO..
    SO WHAT YOUR NOT YOUR GOAL WEIGHT, ONLY YOU CAN CHANGE THE NEXT PIC OF YOURSELF AND I KNOW
    YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't let this one picture upset you! Everyone has pictures that don't flatter them. It could be the angle, light, pose...
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    And not the good kind of low, the bad low. Like, wow.. I have a new fat picture to use as a before photo. Like, wow... I wish I was as fat as my old "fat" picture.

ohmygoddd.jpg

Look at this. You would think I was 200+ pounds and a size 16, no?

This is why I hate my picture taken. That dress is actually supposed to be a size 8 (bought at JCPenney), and I weigh 153 lbs, standing at 5'2" :(

At the very least this image is burned into my brain as motivation and will continue to be for a good while. When I saw this picture of myself, I cried. Gee, you think it's time for a change??

Anyone with any kind of knowledge or experience want to take a look at my body and kindly advise me as to what regimen might work best for my frame? I'm planning on doing a combination of cardio and strength training..but I do worry that I will "bulk up" only because I feel as though I will never be slender and always a little husky.

Look at my profile pic. "Before" is me at 5'4" and 165#. Looks pretty much like your "before". Except I wore a size 12 not an 8.

You aren't nearly as big as you think you are. But that doesn't mean you can't get to where you want to be. It just means the journey to get there will be shorter! :)
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well, seeing your picture below makes me feel like dirt if that's any consolation. I don't even look in mirrors anymore.

Consistency and patience, that's my advice. Good luck.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! i had a similar experience over xmas vacation that propelled me to start losing weight. Sometimes you need that low moment before you become dedicated to make a change. Just don't let it continue and year from now be another 5 to 10 lbs further away from your goal.

Everyday be able to say you did something to move closer to your goal.

As far as for workout, there is really nothing that works better depending on your "frame". Eat a calorie deficit, start a good beginner strength training program, and add cardio to taste. Repeat for many days and tweak depending on your progress.

Any other questions, feel free to let me know.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel this so much! I hate having my picture taken...My face is round, I can't help that, it just is! and I always photograph like a little chipmunk. :( But, when I physically reach up and touch my face, its definitely thinned out, it just doesn't translate into photo's well.

Don't let this discourage you at all. We are all hard on ourselves in pictures. I always hate mine and friends or my husband will say "Such a great picture of you!". So I guess it all works out. I agree with some other posters, you are super pretty! So roll with that and don't let this photo or any other bring you down.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You don't look that bad at all. That being said, in my expereince, once you start your journey it's almost natural to be critical of yourself because more often than not you'll see your own imperfections. But that's ok. Weight loss is a process and you're well on your way.