Weight lifting calorie burn question,help please.

Options
2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I don't even look at how much calories I burn, I simply eat a certain calories number, if after 2-3 weeks, I don't get the desired result, I just increase my calories or decrease my calories depending on my goal (bulking or cutting). Rinse and repeat until you get the gain/loss of weight rate.

Yep... das it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Bealey2011 wrote: »
    jaymie_x0 wrote: »
    Nothing can accurately tell you what your burn, if you're trying to lose weight, your calories should be set you're overall activity in and out of the gym.

I don't need accurate, but I would still like a rough number. My overall activity changes day to day and my calorie burn does as well so even if it's a rough number I still like to keep up with it. I eat back my exercise calories so I want to get as close as I can to not going over my deficit. I want to know if the calorie burn is ball park or too high because if it's too high on that it might be logging to high on other things and since it syncs with my fitbit and MFP then I want to make sure it is working correctly.

Just remember. In that hour, you were going to burn X number of calories if you weren't weight lifting and just sitting around. That's because your body burns a set number of calories no matter what all day. Take your BMR and divide by 24 and you can get an estimate on how many calories your burning in that hour. For instance, I am tall and my BMR is roughly around 1650. So, I am burning 60-70 calories every hour. So, in your case, if you're eating back your exercise calories, take that 313 and subtract it by those 70 calories and you should be ok to eat that 240 back.

This is an answer that I have been looking for, thank you!

That method does NOT apply or work correctly when you are syncing with a device - and the logging of a workout replaces what was there.

Because in that case you DO replace the BMR level burn that is already there, with a calorie burn that includes it - because it did happen.

So for the Fitbit you have (caught your comment in Fitbit forum) - when you manually log lifting for accuracy - you log what is given - you do not do math to remove the BMR first.

Because Fitbit is not an addition method, it is a replacement method.

And actually, through testing, I've found that the Fitbit's where you can select the workout type and make it Weights - you are already getting the lower calorie burn, it's not using HR-based formula that would be inflated.