Hi, everyone! Type 2 Diabetic and just joined.

Options
I'm new and have type 2 diabetes. I do intermittent fasting to control my BG. I have at least 50 pounds to lose and plan to step up my exercise and eat healthier. The type of diet that is working best for me (both for appetite and BG control) is high fat -- healthy fats only and eating only chicken, turkey or fish, butter, olive oil, nuts, avocadoes and such -- and moderate protein with low carb -- eating mostly fresh fruits (like apples, small amounts of grapes & berries), fresh veggies (raw when possible) and sometimes oldfashioned oats, quinoa and chia seeds or small amounts of brown rice & chili beans or black beans. The diet plan at this website is set at higher carbs, then protein and low-fat. Does anyone know a workaround or way to reset the percentages so I don't always look like I'm failing to meet my food goals? I'm fine with eating less to get the calorie count down so long as I'm not forced to eat higher carbs. Help???

Replies

• mairjalin
    mairjalin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much the same questions
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You can customize your macro proportions.

Edit Profile>Goals>Calorie & Macronutrient Goals
  • PeteLincoln2910mfp
    PeteLincoln2910mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 aswell - feel free to add
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed T2 earlier this year. I changed all my categories to capture food and drinks at Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, two snacks and meds but because all my numbers were ridinkidonk high at diagnosis I opted initially for moving from high GI foods to Low GI.

I have almost halved my A1C in three months and FBG went from 18.5 at diagnosis to 6.1 and more importantly I brought my cholesterol down, so now I can feel a bit more confident in starting to look at low-moderate carbs.

Do we have to be premium to change percentages?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Since you are already informed as to how to customize your macros, I just want to welcome you.

T2Dm also. I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. I was able to drop my A1C back below 5.5 very quickly and have maintained it ever since (ranges between 5.0 and 5.4). I eat 35% of my calories as carbs. At my current weight that is 140 grams per day with a maximum of 180 grams no matter how many extra exercise calories I earn in a day (per my doctor who is a Certified Diabetic Educator). You can do it! Just find a healthcare team that you like working with . . . they will be with you a lot over the next years.

One thing about doing a custom setting for your diary: you need to change the settings yourself as you lose instead of the system doing it for you. I go in every 10-15 lb. and make the changes so my calorie target reflects the new weight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    rfsatar wrote: »

No, not for the basic calorie and macro settings.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group There's a really helpful, friendly group for T2's if you're interested. :)@MoonriverDreamer
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    rfsatar wrote: »
    Hi I was diagnosed T2 earlier this year. I changed all my categories to capture food and drinks at Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, two snacks and meds but because all my numbers were ridinkidonk high at diagnosis I opted initially for moving from high GI foods to Low GI.

I have almost halved my A1C in three months and FBG went from 18.5 at diagnosis to 6.1 and more importantly I brought my cholesterol down, so now I can feel a bit more confident in starting to look at low-moderate carbs.

Incredible! :)