Bloating - Water intake - Newbie needs advice!!

Options
MizMareedy
MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
MFP Help!

I've been struggling with feeling very bloated. My water is usually around 90oz per day since I'm heavier (I have about 100lbs to lose overall) the doctor says I should I drink a bit more water.
I am very new to this logging thing and I've been careful to be accurate in measurements of everything I eat (kitchen scale). Previously in life I lost a lot of weight doing weight watchers / other things and calculating points taught me zero about how to nourish my body. So, my friend has pointed me here and so far I really like it and feel more in control and informed about the proper way to weight loss and health.

MFP says I should eat 1440 to lose 1.5lbs per week - but with clean eating I stay around 12-1300 calories. My main goal is to focus on nourishment and eating well - not so much feeling deprived and hungry.

I also do light exercise 3 X a week (so far - walking enough to elevate my HR considerably).
Any suggestions? I've had 2 servings of broccoli and 2 servings of black beans - but could these alone cause me to feel this bloated? This is worse than 'that time of the month' bloating.
Maybe it's just because I'm new - IDK - but the feeling is miserable and I'd like some advice if anyone has any!! TIA!!!

Replies

• christinaostroff
    christinaostroff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Black beans and broccoli have a goodly amount of fiber and are both known to cause some digestive discomfort if you aren't used to eating them. My guess is that your body is just trying to adjust to it. I have the same issue if I haven't been eating a lot of fiber and suddenly have something fiber-rich. Ginger tea eases that discomfort for me quite a bit.
  • NannyDuffy
    NannyDuffy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with bloating. All I can say is watch your sodium intake and look back on what you've eaten or drank besides water. some veggies like broccoli can cause bloating as well as beans. I will go through an elimination process to figure out whats doing it. sometimes anything carbonated will do it. or alcohol.
  • cerin3646
    cerin3646 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go easy on the fiber and work your way up.. It takes time. It took my body about 3 months to be able to eat the recommended amount of fiber with out bloating(I went from eating probably 5 g. Of fiber a day to around 25-40g.) Also drinking more water will only help move things along! Good luck
  • TalaNrys
    TalaNrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to feel this way if I've had a lot of sodium for sure. I try and keep my water intake at about 100-150 ounces a day, but the days I slack at it I can feel it the next day, I feel bloated, and since I weigh myself everyday to watch my trends, I can say I average an extra 1-2 pounds in just water weight that I'll lose the next day or two, or whenever my water intake is back up.
    I'd suggest really watching that sodium level around the days your feeling bloated and see if there's something to it. Though Broccoli and Beans can make it worse as well. If your eating canned black beans like I usually do, the sodium content is way high usually.
  • fionaswan2198
    fionaswan2198 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just joined the Gym and p/t told me to drink 3 litres a day
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    TalaNrys the black beans and broccoli I ate were from green giant steamers. I'll try to up my water 30 oz to see if that helps. I have always loved black beans but the broccoli is pretty new. I've been logging for 8 days now, and I think only 1 day my sodium has been over the amount recommended.

Nanny - no alcohol for me and what I wouldn't give to have a diet coke right now lol! My first big / (small) change was to eliminate soda's from my diet. Coffee/Tea/Water is the only thing I'm drinking.

The feeling to me is like a constant need to burp. Maybe I've got some trapped gas in my belly.
  • TalaNrys
    TalaNrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @MixMareedy, I get those steamers a lot, they're pretty good, and not super expensive. See if the water thing might help. It could just be that your not quite adjusted to the broccoli yet, when I first started I had to be a bit gentle with myself on the veg because I wasn't used to eating that much and it made my stomach upset, but I have a pretty touchy stomach anyway. Hope it get's feeling better, I know feeling gassy isn't fun,
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    do you have any other symptoms with the bloating? if so it may be worth talking to your dr about as many things can cause you to bloat.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What causes me to bloat is tiredness. I work nightshifts, and if I haven't slept enough I bloat big time, adding maybe 6-8 inches to my waist.

I guess bloating is mostly caused by food, still make sure you sleep enough.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Did you recently change to "clean eating?" I assume that means more fruit, veggies, fiber rich foods.

If so, remember it takes time for your gut microbiome to adjust to digesting and processing new foods, especially larger amounts of fiber. In general, it's best to make drastic changes slowly. If you went from few veggies to lots, it can take some people weeks to adjust.