Do I need a rest day if I'm only a slow beginner runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm planning to add a couple of circuit classes a week by the end of the year, and will probably swap out running for stationary bike while there's snow on the ground. I'm kind of sad about the idea of not getting to run for a few months!

Winter is my FAVORITE time of the year to run, and I live in Minnesota.

Keep running outside and see if you dont' find yourself gradually getting adapted to the winter running.

Also google "screw shoes". It's a very cheap, easy way to adapt your running shoes to snowy, icy conditions.
    Hey neighbor! Are you running on trails or sidewalks? I worry about the ice slicks that are pretty common in my neighborhood, although I suppose I have seen hearty souls braving the winter even in the cities.

I avoid sidewalks as much as possible. My preference for running surfaces are dirt trail > asphalt trail > asphalt road > concrete road > the grass beside the sidewalk > sidewalk

In the winter I run trails and roads, but never sidewalks. Our city does a great job plowing roads. You see ice from time to time, but it's usually spotty and the road is runable. When I do run in the winter on slick roads, I'm going at a slower pace, with very short strides, sometimes flat-footed and, very important, come to nearly a complete stop before changing directions. When I do fall (which isn't often), it's usually because of take a turn too quick and my foot slides out from under me.

Since daylight is limited, I'm usually running in the dark. To avoid getting hit, I wear a reflective vest, head lamp, and a flashing red light on the back. Whenever a car comes towards me or looks like they might turn out in front of me I give them a quick flash with my headlamp, just to make sure they see me.

Running at night, in the snow with fresh snow piling up is a magical experience!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Or do what cyclists do and use it as an opportunity to drink from your water bottle.

and/or do a little of in-the-moment rehab/prehab movement.