Weight loss with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue

Options
Hi, everyone! I just started back up on my fitness pal after a couple years break. These last couple years I gained some back and am trying now to get back down to where I was. A couple months ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. This really impacts my energy level and the amount of physical activity I do. I was wondering if there are others on here who have one or both of these. Also, if anyone has tips on weight loss with fibro/CFS. Really, any advice on these conditions are welcomed, even if not weight loss specific. I'm really new to this. Thank you!

Replies

• Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hmmm, nobody else experiencing this? Oh well...Here's a little bit more about me. I am an 8 year US Navy firefighter veteran. Female. 33 years old. Work as a team lead at a restaurant. On my feet all the time at work. Single mom of two boys. 5'7" tall and 187 pounds. My goal is: 170 (for now). Trying to loose a bit and get ahead of the annual holiday 10 pound gain (didn't lose the last two years gains) and to try to gain more energy/less pain. Trying for an atkins-ish diet. Avoiding bad carbs and aiming for more protein and good fats. But mixed with a calorie deficit diet too. I am listening to my body and will deviate as needed as long as I'm feeling well (i.e, I get tired and dizzy...I'm eating something!).Been at it for about a week now and it feels so good (why did I eat that crap?). Anyway, I'm not very motivational. I have a hard time sticking to things. So I'm definately not that long term, check in daily, inspirational, and reliable person when it comes to weight loss. I try though. But I know myself...life throws me off track. Every. Single.Time. So here I am...trying....again. If you want a friend who understands your struggles and won't judge if you mess up, then I'm the person. If you need a friend who wil keep you accountable...then I'm not that person. I have a hard enough time keeping myself accountable.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I also have Fibro and am currently on a very low carb plan, keto level, it helps me to stay within my calorie goal without feeling like I’m starving and is really helping with some of my digestive issues. I often go weeks without exercising because of the constant pain and fatigue but am still losing weight although much more slowly than I would if I could exercise properly. Some weeks I’ll eat at maintenance if I’m feeling particularly bad or like this week when I caught a cold then I’ll be back on my weight loss calorie goal after that. It makes weight loss very slow but I’d rather go slow than cause a flare up of my Fibro. I’ll send you a friend request, I’m also not up to keeping someone accountable but it helps to have support along the way.
  • EmergingDawn
    EmergingDawn Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Kiwi - I have both. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago. I have to admit I have not been good at taking care of myself lately, (working too many hours, not enough sleep, too many grains etc) and thus am going through a pretty bad flare up right now which is how I managed to see your post i.e. lying in bed on my tablet. I have been advised that an anti-inflammatory diet would work for me and I have felt a lot better when I cut out grains, nightshade etc. However, I have not been consistent, nor have I been consistent in using MFP this year which might explain some weight gain. I am planning on starting the Keto diet around the middle of October and hoping for some relief. Happy for you to add me as a friend.
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been 6 years with my diagnosis of fibromyalgia/CFS and it was brutal initially for me but I have gotten past the worst I believe. I have tried many things to try to help myself that are natural like tumeric and raw ginger..... vitamin D3, COQ10. The medication the doctors gave me initially had me more depressed and unable to function......so I stopped them.....then I went on a journey to try to find out natural remedies to help myself. I have less flare-ups....I do notice if I eat alot of carbs or processed foods like chips and junk food that night I am in agony!!! I do know I need to walk but it's like a visious cycle if I am hurting I don't want to move so I am still trying to gain control over that. Be well my friend.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Glad to see there are others who understand this struggle. I am just starting to identify what are fibro symptoms (and have been all along) and what are not. I had a bad flare up last week. It hurt to breath. But over this last week of cutting carbs back and drinking a ton of water, I have felt better than I have in a long time. I didnt realize, until this week, that carbs had that much control over how I feel. I also started CYmbalta four weeks ago so I'm sure that's contributing too). Winter is the hardest for me. My body temp runs low so all I want to do is lay down, wrapped in a blanket and sleep. Plus, the ups and downs of temperatures makes me hurt even more. That does not help with weight issues! Anyway, thanks for replying and friending me. Take care!
  • __Lora__
    __Lora__ Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If I have to say one, movement begets movement. I have struggled with chronic pain my entire life and refuse to take pain medicine. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years back, but just sort of ignored it. I have to make moving a habit. I have to do it no matter what my body feels like. Best wishes for you, stay strong, and appreciate the small victories!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is probably the best person to ask about questions specific to your condition. As for weight loss you can certainly still achieve a caloric deficit with limited to no activity. Even though I am fairly active as a runner I still view exercise as a buffer zone more than anything else to my efforts. I learned long ago that the battle is won or lost for me in the kitchen, not at the track.

Best of luck as you start off.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just wanted to say that in addition to exercise not being crucial to weightloss (as already mentioned) - but calorie deficit is - if you feel you have a hard time sticking to things, don't pick more hard things than necessary. To lose weight you need a consistent calorie deficit, as mentioned. Consistent does not mean perfect, but overall, over time, moving in the right direction. You can eat anything you like in moderation. Demonizing nutrients, foods and food groups has the strange effect of creating a desire for exactly those things. A healthy diet is varied and balanced. A healthy relationship with food is also essential to good health.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just wanted to say that in addition to exercise not being crucial to weightloss (as already mentioned) - but calorie deficit is - if you feel you have a hard time sticking to things, don't pick more hard things than necessary. To lose weight you need a consistent calorie deficit, as mentioned. Consistent does not mean perfect, but overall, over time, moving in the right direction. You can eat anything you like in moderation. Demonizing nutrients, foods and food groups has the strange effect of creating a desire for exactly those things. A healthy diet is varied and balanced. A healthy relationship with food is also essential to good health.

Agree with this wholeheartedly, I don’t beat myself up if I have a larger calorie day just move on and carry on tracking knowing that over time I’ll see the benefits. Also so important not to see foods as good or bad, just see it about making choices over different foods. Very low carb really works for me because 1. it controls my hunger and helps my health issues and 2. I find it easy and enjoyable. It certainly doesn’t work for everyone. If you’re finding your diet makes you start craving things or you’re never satisfied then it’s not going to be sustainable, there are many ways of making up your daily calories from high carb levels to low and everything in between.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue early this year. I started eating low carb and pacing my exercise. I can lead a pretty normal life if careful. I fell off the wagon food wise during a flare up but I’m planning to get back to it this week. I’ve lost 34lbs this year with little to no exercise. It can be done
  • breezydae2626
    breezydae2626 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have fibromyalgia, cf and Ibs so I also know your struggle. I was diagnosed 2 years ago while working as a head server in a local restaurant. I went gluten free a year before that and lost 40lbs, down to my goal of 155 but my symptoms only improved about 50%. Then got pregnant and my weight was awesome until the end and then I had gained 50 lbs, my fibromyalgia was so inflamed I couldn’t move and it’s taken over a year to switch my diet from gluten free to FODMAP to vegan (gastroenterologist recommendation) and manage that way. Exercise is important but just keeping pain at bay and keeping the stiffness away is the incentive. Nothing strenuous, house work works for me. Plus every pound lost is 1 pound off my joints and that means it will get a little easier.