Calorie help

Options
MFP has me at 1620 kcals daily for a two pound a week weight loss. I am 5'9.5 259lbs 41 year old male activity setting is at sedentary. When I started here I was 284lbs and even then I was never recommended anything over 1700kcals.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well since the minimum for a male is 1500 - 1620 is very low. I couldn't imagine wanting to eat less which is what it sounds like you want to do?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What's your question, exactly?

If you want/need more calories consider changing your activity setting to lightly active. Are you truly sedentary? Are you logging purposeful exercise and eating back all or a portion of the calories allotted by that in addition to your base calories? What's your actual rate of loss?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Two comments (since I'm not sure what your question is):

(1) are you sure that sedentary is the correct setting for you? Do you have kids? A dog? Get some modest walking in during the day? Lightly active might be the better choice. Alternatively, any exercise you get during the day will give you more calories - if you're set to sedentary, even fairly light activity should give you more calories.

(2) Just because MFP lets you go for 2 pounds a week doesn't mean it's the best place to start. I think a lot of people would have more luck starting with a small deficit and ramping it up as they go. See what 1 pound a week looks like, or even maintenance - a lot of us were regularly eating a surplus when we started calorie counting, so there's a real benefit to working out what you need to eat to maintain your weight, and going down from there. Just reread your post and it sounds like you have been here a while. Still, there's nothing at all wrong with taking a slower approach. I aim for about 5 pounds a month.

Good luck!