Fasting

Options
Whats the pros and cons and Can you or should you exercise on a 24 hour fast?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    What is it that you're hoping to achieve?
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Mental strengthening
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    From fasting? Try yoga. Ahhh
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do not work out while fasting. Drink plenty of water. Like a lot. Stay hydrated. People fast for 24 hours all the time, but if you start to get dizzy then you should break the fast and try again some other time
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can do some exercise after a 24hour fast but you shouldn't try to push it too hard. Converting fat to energy is a slower process than converting carbs to energy, so you may find that you use up energy more quickly than your body can provide it. This can result in headaches or even passing out.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Mental strengthening

Then I would suggest meditation during your fast, not exercise.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you need mental strengthening for? I suggest you practice doing that instead. Nobody in our part of the world needs to fast for 24 hours. But you can do it if you want to, of course. You won't die, you can exercise, but don't do things or be places that demands full attention. It won't be fun, it won't be nice, but it's not supposed to be fun or nice.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Only do gentle yoga and walking if you want to exercise. These exercises use primarily body fat as fuel especially when in a fasted state.
  • j_gibbs
    j_gibbs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only run in a fasted state and have done for 20 years apart from a handful of times when I've succumbed to pressure from people telling me it's terrible. I now intentionally time 24 hour fasts with my run days (I run at around the 12-13 hour mark). I'm returning after a long hiatus because illness and injury and I've never had such a smooth transition back into my running pattern.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Mental strengthening

Then I would suggest meditation during your fast, not exercise.

Personally, I don't think sitting around thinking about ones belly button does much to strengthen one mentally.