Plateaus

Options
2»

Replies

• EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Ok ok.... I’m so sorry to start all the controversy and fights on here.... I admit I don’t want to share because I have had a little promblem in the past and I don’t wish to get kicked off here if I share my calorie intake but it’s only thing that works since I haven’t been able to exercise in so long. I’m the kind of person that has to exercise to lose weight so I was beside myself. I plan on raising it when I’m more recovered, it’s only been a month. I took an 11 minute walk with my brace on a few days ago and my back was spasming so bad after I guess my body is still not ready for exercise☹️and let’s see since the last three weeks I went down from 126-117. But my body’s been stuck around 117-118 for a week or so I guess I’m just impatient. Thanks for all the input
  • EEAngelina
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ps.... my weight has not changed on here because it was 118 before surgery and I was embarrassed to move it up to 126 after surgury.....if anyone is in the same boat with me I would like you for a friend if your willing thanks!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I never claimed I know all, where did this come from?

What's my metric? My science? Come on now, are you just here to bully people into your way of thinking? My science is a mirror, listen to the mirror and not people on a forum.

And lots of women who are very underweight look in the mirror and think they still have fat to lose.

BMI is not perfect, but it's a good general guideline for people who aren't pro athletes or body builders. OP is free to aim for slightly underweight if she wants, but she should move forward with eyes open and understand the challenges in trying to get to such a low weight. There is a huge difference in the accuracy and patience required to lose 20 lbs to get into the healthy weight range, and to lose 20 lbs to get below the healthy weight range. It's a factor worth mentioning.

And in conjunction with the OP's admission that she is probably undereating (a few posts down), she's not going to find a lot of support here for that mindset.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Ok ok.... I’m so sorry to start all the controversy and fights on here.... I admit I don’t want to share because I have had a little promblem in the past and I don’t wish to get kicked off here if I share my calorie intake but it’s only thing that works since I haven’t been able to exercise in so long. I’m the kind of person that has to exercise to lose weight so I was beside myself. I plan on raising it when I’m more recovered, it’s only been a month. I took an 11 minute walk with my brace on a few days ago and my back was spasming so bad after I guess my body is still not ready for exercise☹️and let’s see since the last three weeks I went down from 126-117. But my body’s been stuck around 117-118 for a week or so I guess I’m just impatient. Thanks for all the input

I'm sorry that you're struggling. I would definitely bring up these concerns with your doctor, and would maybe look into finding someone to talk to about your relationship with your weight.

That being said, you really are being impatient. At your weight, going down OR up would take longer than a week. 0.5/week go lose OR gain is realistically what you're looking at, simply based on math. Even if you reduce your intake down to 1200 calories, your TDEE of 1,445 or so is still only going to give you a deficit of around 250 calories. To lose a pound (3500 calories), you'd need two weeks. (14 days).

It's just math. Take comfort in the numbers and be patient. It WILL come. Just be healthy while you do it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I'm sorry that you're struggling. I would definitely bring up these concerns with your doctor, and would maybe look into finding someone to talk to about your relationship with your weight.

That being said, you really are being impatient. At your weight, going down OR up would take longer than a week. 0.5/week go lose OR gain is realistically what you're looking at, simply based on math. Even if you reduce your intake down to 1200 calories, your TDEE of 1,445 or so is still only going to give you a deficit of around 250 calories. To lose a pound (3500 calories), you'd need two weeks. (14 days).

It's just math. Take comfort in the numbers and be patient. It WILL come. Just be healthy while you do it.

Cosigned :)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are not considered plateau till 4+ weeks of no weight loss. This is typically in conjunction with a healthy diet (calories, macro ratios, and content) and exercise, which doesn't appear you have at the moment.

And according to this, your BMI is 21.1, which is right in the middle of your ideal range.

Given that you are coming out of multiple surgeries, are not overweight, but want to rob your body of the fuel it needs to not only function, but also repair from a SURGERY...I say you don't worry about losing weight at this point. Get well, get back where you can do some strength and cardio, then start working on dropping weight if that's what you want (although, not sure why you would given current BMI).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Oh, and 100 lb is underweight for your height, FYI.

According to whom? You do not know this person or what muscle percentage they may or may not have.

That would be pretty irrelevant...someone of that height at 100 Lbs is going to likely be at or below essential fat and have pretty much zero muscle mass...
  • mreidkramer
    mreidkramer Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Angelstarr, not sure what the problem is that you're referring to, but also keep in mind that you shouldn't go too low in calories, because that can cause the stalls as well. I agree with the others, it's hard to help without specifics, and 1 week isn't really a plateau. But I also understand you're frustration... I broke my foot last spring. My weight went up to 230, but on here I quit logging in when I hated the weight too much to record it! I'm now back on and heading in the right direction. I am finally walking again. That will help. I also recently made the switch to keto. I can't BELIEVE how quickly it works and how great I feel. Good luck to you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Angelstarr, not sure what the problem is that you're referring to, but also keep in mind that you shouldn't go too low in calories, because that can cause the stalls as well. I agree with the others, it's hard to help without specifics, and 1 week isn't really a plateau. But I also understand you're frustration... I broke my foot last spring. My weight went up to 230, but on here I quit logging in when I hated the weight too much to record it! I'm now back on and heading in the right direction. I am finally walking again. That will help. I also recently made the switch to keto. I can't BELIEVE how quickly it works and how great I feel. Good luck to you!

no it can't...

To the OP if you won't share diary I suspect it's becasue you are eating VLCD (very low calories) esp if you want to be 100lbs.

anyway. If you aren't losing based on your log it's due to inaccurate logging. Either because you aren't using a food scale or using incorrect entries.

• EEAngelina
    Options
    Thanks all for being kind and your input.... I know I shouldn’t be so hard on myself with the calorie intake because it is a good point my body’s trying to heal. What is Keto?