Looking for feedback on gym memberships

Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have an Anytime Fitness membership and it works for me. There are no classes and no extras other than unlimited tanning and no pool. But it has the weights and cardio equipment I need and is open 24 hours. Also, I've never travelled anywhere and not had a location close, so I can still work out when I'm away from home which is important to me.

Some of them do have classes. It depends on the location. They are reasonable and usually decently equipped. As others have said, it all depends on your goals and whether they have the equipment you want.

For example, I just want decent free weights, squat rack and barbells. And not too many crowds. I can train in the middle of the day. I found a mostly MMA gym that is open 9 to 9. Most of the classes and MMA training sessions are late afternoon and evening. Sometimes I am the only one in the free weight area. Never more than 3 or 4 people and most don't seem to use the rack, so I pretty much have it to myself. It's no frills and only $25 per month.
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The ongoing memberships offered by gyms don't appeal to me and I know would get bored and not go. I walk, swim, go to a dance class etc. The classes and pool are prepaid - I buy 10 or 20 classes in advance. This works for me. But I know I would not go to a gym and the money would be wasted. If they had a different pricing model such as a pack of 15-20 gym entries including 3 x 30 min with the trainer, first meeting at the beginning to set up a program and then 2 meetings later to fine tune/answer questions, it might work for me. I would do that once a year. But I haven't found anywhere that offers that near where I live.
    So I'm more likely to enjoy doing other fitness related activities with a different structure to them - not a gym. But it has to work for you, that is the key.
  • simplyhannahm
    simplyhannahm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have seen anytime fitness. It looked like a good gym, but you had to sign a 12 month contract. I joined one called The Gym Group it seems good so far a range of equipment and is only £15.99 with no contract.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    There's an Anytime Fitness just 1/3 mile from my house, though I've never been in there. I'm thinking about joining after my rehab classes end, though. If you're interested in them, you could ask them for a trial pass, which will give you a week to try out the gym. The only caveat is that you can only access the gym when there is staff there, as they'll have to let you in (you won't get a key card until you actually pay for a membership).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm an Equinox member. I like it very much!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Unless you're dead broke, don't let price be the overriding factor. Those ultra-cheap gyms may seem like a bargain at first, but they're generally less efficient at producing results. Given how expensive health care can be in the long term, saving an extra $10-20/month probably won't be worth it.

This is especially true if you're knowledgeable about exercise and are willing to work hard.

Anytime Fitness is on the more affordable end. It's not one that I'd strongly recommend, due to their light weights and limited equipment, but it's not a horrible choice.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am surrounded my chain fitness centers and I don't really care for them, even if they have plenty of fun classes to choose from. The reason? I cannot stand the posers in there and the females that parade around in workout gear but never work out or get sweaty. And then they get huffy if you ask to use the machine they are lounging on. This happened at three different chains in my area. They give me an up and down glance while I am in all my sweaty glory and curl their lip. I finally got tired of it.

I started going to a local gym near my place a few years ago that the local bodybuilders go to. "Normal" people like go there too but the real serious competitors frequent the place. I convinced the gym owner to be my trainer and so far, knock on wood, I have never hurt myself under his watch. Plus on days I am there and he is not, his other trainers keep an eye on everyone and they correct form, offer encouraging words, etc. I also pay a little more for membership than the chains but feel I am getting more out of it :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Sara_Liz1 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m looking for some information on chain-type gyms such as Anytime Fitness. Are these types of places worth it? What activities are you doing there? Looking to get started somewhere with exercise, but just not sure if a place like this will be very motivating to go to. I joined one years ago, but only used the treadmill for a few weeks and quit going. Thanks.

I've been a member of LA Fitness since 2013 and absolutely love it. They have every machine or piece of work out equipment you could possibly need, plus a pool, stretching area, racket rooms, etc. They also offer classes. That being said, I've moved around a lot and also utilize LA Fitness while traveling and have been to a fair share of low-quality LA Fitness gyms. It depends on your location. If it's been build or revamped in the last 3-years, then it's probably excellent.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Unless you're dead broke, don't let price be the overriding factor. Those ultra-cheap gyms may seem like a bargain at first, but they're generally less efficient at producing results. Given how expensive health care can be in the long term, saving an extra $10-20/month probably won't be worth it.

This is especially true if you're knowledgeable about exercise and are willing to work hard.

Anytime Fitness is on the more affordable end. It's not one that I'd strongly recommend, due to their light weights and limited equipment, but it's not a horrible choice.

Apparently there are a lot of differences between locations for Anytime Fitness. The one I go to has five squat racks (not Smith machines, although there's one of those too), tons of olympic plates, and dumbbells from 5 to 120 pounds - in addition to all the machines, TRX setups, kettlebells and tons of cardio equipment. About the only thing missing for a "serious" lifter is a powerlifting platform, and they don't have the Crossfit-type stuff (tires and sledgehammers, prowler sleds, etc.). For anybody but a serious/competitive powerlifter or olympic lifter, there's more than enough weights and equipment available. I wouldn't trust the trainers on staff for any reliable information beyond "where's the bathroom?", but that's pretty normal for most big box gyms.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This thread has been so helpful!
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I joined through my insurance. It's called Blue365. For $25 a month I can go to gyms throughout the country that participate. There are about 6 in my area that do. I love it. Right now I am going to one called Rascals. Great people & equipment. Sometimes they close early so on those days I go to Anytime Fitness which I also love. Great support & people.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Apparently there are a lot of differences between locations for Anytime Fitness. The one I go to has five squat racks (not Smith machines, although there's one of those too), tons of olympic plates, and dumbbells from 5 to 120 pounds - in addition to all the machines, TRX setups, kettlebells and tons of cardio equipment. About the only thing missing for a "serious" lifter is a powerlifting platform, and they don't have the Crossfit-type stuff (tires and sledgehammers, prowler sleds, etc.). For anybody but a serious/competitive powerlifter or olympic lifter, there's more than enough weights and equipment available. I wouldn't trust the trainers on staff for any reliable information beyond "where's the bathroom?", but that's pretty normal for most big box gyms.

That is very interesting indeed. None of the Anytime Fitness locations that I've seen have had that kind of equipment. The one near my home only has kettlebells that go up to 20lbs or so, if I recall correctly. It's great that your gym has much more than that.

I wouldn't put much stock on "tons of cardio equipment," as most gyms will tend to have plenty of those. If they also have TRX rigs, Olympic plates, and the like though -- well, that's another matter. Those are most certainly game-changers.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think everyone seems to have covered all of the main points, but I will go ahead and just share my experience with you as well! I started out by going to a local gym that only had the one location, and loved it at first. It was a great way to slowly get into different types of exercise and get comfortable. After awhile though, I found that the gym didn't really provide any motivation for me, and I recently switched to a chain gym (LifeTime) that I LOVE. So much more motivation and many more options/things to do. I will say that I don't feel intimidated at this gym at all, though I don't know if that is because I worked up to it, or if I would have felt this way regardless.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    That totally depends on you and what you need for a gym and what time you can get there. Do you need classes? Do you need/want a pool? Do you need external motivation/trainers/etc?

Personally, I'm never going to use a gym for cardio - I find hampster wheels mind-numbingly boring and aerobic classes silly (and for me, yoga/pilates is a waste of time compared to what I can accomplish in that time period running or lifting or dancing). I'd much rather run, cycle, hike, or dance (and there are groups for those activities as well).

I go strictly for weight training, with a template or plan for that session written down that I can run through as quickly as possible before heading to work. I go to the LA Fitness (a chain gym) around the corner from where I work.. it's convenient (I can work up until about 10 minutes before I need to be at work), has everything I need (barbells, dumbbells, benches, various machines), and isn't busy in the time slot before I head to work.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have an Anytime Fitness membership and I really like it. It's my first gym and I was kinda reluctant at first but it was a really good decision for me and it reasonably priced. The manager is great and the place is always spotless. It's only about 2 years old so all the equipment is new as well. I have a treadmill and stationary bike at home but when people are sleeping in the morning I can't use them because of noise so having the equipment at the gym is a good backup but I use all the machines there and don't have heavy enough weights or machines at home to really lift effectively. I'm doing some really nice sculpting thanks to my $45 a month.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That is very interesting indeed. None of the Anytime Fitness locations that I've seen have had that kind of equipment. The one near my home only has kettlebells that go up to 20lbs or so, if I recall correctly. It's great that your gym has much more than that.

I wouldn't put much stock on "tons of cardio equipment," as most gyms will tend to have plenty of those. If they also have TRX rigs, Olympic plates, and the like though -- well, that's another matter. Those are most certainly game-changers.

And just when I said Anytime Fitness didn't have a powerlifting platform, guess what they installed this morning?

kzrvd2ycobw0.jpg
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love my anytime fitness. It’s big enough that there’s plenty of equipment, but chill enough that I’m comfortable. I like that I also see a lot of the same ppl when I come in everyday. I don’t talk to them, but familiar faces are nice.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I joined the "Y" - it has decent equipment, has various price ranges plus some scholarship help for low-income folks, training staff that know their stuff (I think the university has their sports med/rehab/fitness students do internships there), and is not-for-profit. My community is big enough to support 3 facilities within a reasonable distance from me. I go to the one with the most usable free weight set-up but it's helpful to have the other options for the yearly maintenance closures.