Weight loss goal-50lbs - HeLP!

Options
I am looking to start my weight loss it is very stressful. Anyone can recommend do I lose the 50lbs by just doing cardio only for he first 5 months then include weights training?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Exactly as suggested above. Focus on your calorie goal. Get a digital food scale--use it. Try to stay within your goal everyday. Then move more. Good luck. And don't stress about this, just do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what results in weight loss. However, I would not suggest waiting to do resistance exercise. Resistance exercise will help you to retain as much muscle as possible, as well as make you stronger. Even if you do not think you have much in the way of muscle mass, you do not want to lose what you do have because of the effort it will take to gain it back. Plus, as somebody who is overweight, you have a certain amount that has developed and helps you carry your extra weight around each day.

Keep in mind that resistance exercise doesn't have to mean lifting weights. Bodyweight exercises (also known as calisthenics) such as pushups (even modified) and squats could be a good place to start. You might also try TRX, which involves doing body movements with straps. You may eventually want to add in lifting weights but you don't have to start there.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    50# is going to take time and patience. I would suggest you use MFP exactly as designed. Plug in your stats, set your goal to lose #1 per week then breathe - relax - and do as it says.
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Vanillabeanss2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    50# is going to take time and patience. I would suggest you use MFP exactly as designed. Plug in your stats, set your goal to lose #1 per week then breathe - relax - and do as it says.

Thank you so much. It is so stressful thinking about it
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »
    The sooner you start, the sooner you will feel better. I've lost 5 stone since December, and still have a way to go, so I can tell you what has worked for me.

I started off with small changes, dropping all sugared drinks and moving to low cal versions, and staying away from fried foods. However, that was before learning from here, and from experience. If I were to do it again, I'd do it differently.

The key mantra on here (which is 100% correct) is CICO, calories in need to be less than calories out if you want to loose weight. It is estimated that a 3500 calorie deficit over a period of time will lead to a 1lb weight loss. So, if you eat 500 calories a day less than you use, that should equate to approximately 1lb of lost weight in a week. However, you may not loose weight in a linear manner, it may come in whooshes due to water retention.

Exersize has been key for me. While a lot of people emphasise diet is for weight loss and exercise for fitness (again I don't disagree with this) the exercise also increases the amount of calories you will use on that day, which can be very helpful if you are not feeling satisfied on the food you are eating. This made it easier for me to eat at a deficit. For example, if the basic level of calories needed to maintain your weight is 2000, then at a calorie deficit of 500, this will leave you with an allowance of 1500 for the day. However, if you then go and exercise burning 500 calories, this makes your total calorie use for the day 2500, so now you can eat 2000 calories, and still have the 500 deficit. The extra exersize may also make you more hungry, so you will need the extra calories, but it can help with increasing what you can eat.

I started resistance straining and weights back in April, as soon as I found out it is good for you when loosing weight, it has helped a lot.

The thing I have found most interesting about my journey is that it started out about loosing weight, and has now become more about being fit, with weight loss being a natural side effect of the process.

Good luck, you can do it!
    I just say thanks for your input. Yes I want to excerise cause I don’t eat a lot. I jus gain weight from working corporate jobs that I don’t notice I should walk around
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If your long term goal is stressing you out re frame it to losing five pounds then repeat times ten. And I agree with the above posts. Don't worry if you don't lose every week cause water and tom will mask some of your results, don't worry if it takes a while, losing slower is good
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    First, before you start reading up on MFP or listening to any of us....talk to your health care provider about it. Then after that - diet #1, if calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight. Second - diet #2, be sure to set your macros (link to general ratios) and try and hit them (you can use the default MFP until you are more educated about stuff). Third - exercise #1, cardio works your heart and can burn fat. Be sure to exercise in your heart rate range for your age. Finally - exercise #2, strength training is good to develop muscles, which raises metabolism, which burns more calories throughout the day. Also, strengthening muscle groups the right way will help avoid injuries in cardio (strong muscles keeps everything in line and working right).
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    marblessed wrote: »
    Yes I want to excerise cause I don’t eat a lot.
    It may feel like you don't eat a lot but you've eaten enough to exceed your body's energy needs so that you gained 50 pounds.

If you snack here and there, those calories can quickly add up.

If you eat smallish portions of foods that are very calorie-dense, you may not feel that you've eaten a lot even though you've exceeded your calorie needs.

It sounds like you'd prefer to keep eating the way you eat and lose weight strictly through exercise. That can happen but it really takes more concentration and work to do it that way. Exercise takes more time from your day than not-consuming-the-calories-in-the-first-place does. Also, exercise may stimulate your appetite which would make it even more important to watch your intake.

I would suggest that you start by logging your normal way of eating for a couple of weeks to see how many calories you are consuming and collect data. That way, you can look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions or make satisfying substitutions.

Cardio and/or weight training are good ways to get exercise and can give a little more wiggle room calorie-wise but the calorie intake side can't be ignored if you want to lose weight.
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    If your long term goal is stressing you out re frame it to losing five pounds then repeat times ten. And I agree with the above posts. Don't worry if you don't lose every week cause water and tom will mask some of your results, don't worry if it takes a while, losing slower is good

Thank you this is super encouraging
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    marblessed wrote: »
    Yes I want to excerise cause I don’t eat a lot.
    It may feel like you don't eat a lot but you've eaten enough to exceed your body's energy needs so that you gained 50 pounds.

If you snack here and there, those calories can quickly add up.

If you eat smallish portions of foods that are very calorie-dense, you may not feel that you've eaten a lot even though you've exceeded your calorie needs.

It sounds like you'd prefer to keep eating the way you eat and lose weight strictly through exercise. That can happen but it really takes more concentration and work to do it that way. Exercise takes more time from your day than not-consuming-the-calories-in-the-first-place does. Also, exercise may stimulate your appetite which would make it even more important to watch your intake.

I would suggest that you start by logging your normal way of eating for a couple of weeks to see how many calories you are consuming and collect data. That way, you can look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions or make satisfying substitutions.

Cardio and/or weight training are good ways to get exercise and can give a little more wiggle room calorie-wise but the calorie intake side can't be ignored if you want to lose weight.

Well at a desk job sitting for 12 hours adds everything up. Eating at my desk. Smh I know it’s wrong but I do it a lot. Thanks for your help. It means a lot to me