Being middle age struggle

Options
2»

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I find age didn’t affect my weight loss. Mostly it was my commitment.

I look better at 61 than I have since my early 20’s.
  • Madgewillbehealthy
    Madgewillbehealthy Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I am speaking about my own struggles regarding my hormone and weight problems. Keep that in mind when you are being judgemental. Cheers :)
  • ronpasco
    ronpasco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's tougher. I'm 55 and finally decided to get healthier for the first time in decades. After a year of (varying degrees) of effort, I feel better and it's gotten easier over time.

My running advice is to take or make friends on your journey. Yoga classes, small group strength training, hiking with a friend, etc., may help you make friends - friends who share your interests and celebrate your victories.

Also, weight is less important than health. If doing that 5 mile hike is easier this month than last month - WIN!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    20 pounds is not a large amount, if you're in the overweight bmi read the thread "relatively light people trying to get leaner", this could be your issue rather than your age
  • cidaliafit
    cidaliafit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The thing with age, especially among us women, is that we tend to gain fat and have a harder time getting it off due to the gradual and progressive loss of muscle mass. We have less than men to begin with, and aging means a loss of muscle mass if we do nothing about it.

My best advice is don't kill yourself on cardio, as a lot of older women do, but instead focus on building muscle mass. Lift as heavy as you can. You won't bulk up unless you're taking steroids. There are tons of Internet resources to help beginners with strength training, and a gym membership is not needed. There are options using free weights, resistance bands, or your own body weight and tons of exercises and tips on proper form to be found on YouTube, apps, etc. Take before measurements, as muscle mass is dense, and numbers on the scale don't tell the whole picture. You're looking for inches off, less body fat, and overall physique changes.

Aside from that, diet is gonna be the other big thing. Weigh and measure everything. For some, such a me, a lower carb diet works better (nothing crazy, no keto, just something a bit more moderate). Your mileage may vary.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Age is not the problem.
    I am [in my] 40, think I look better now than I did in my 20's.

#truth
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    cidaliafit wrote: »
    The thing with age, especially among us women, is that we tend to gain fat and have a harder time getting it off due to the gradual and progressive loss of muscle mass. We have less than men to begin with, and aging means a loss of muscle mass if we do nothing about it.

My best advice is don't kill yourself on cardio, as a lot of older women do, but instead focus on building muscle mass. Lift as heavy as you can. You won't bulk up unless you're taking steroids. There are tons of Internet resources to help beginners with strength training, and a gym membership is not needed. There are options using free weights, resistance bands, or your own body weight and tons of exercises and tips on proper form to be found on YouTube, apps, etc. Take before measurements, as muscle mass is dense, and numbers on the scale don't tell the whole picture. You're looking for inches off, less body fat, and overall physique changes.

Aside from that, diet is gonna be the other big thing. Weigh and measure everything. For some, such a me, a lower carb diet works better (nothing crazy, no keto, just something a bit more moderate). Your mileage may vary.

This
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Age has nothing to do with it. 64 and in better shape than when I was 45. Was able to lose over 30lbs and regained muscle. It's just math, a calorie deficit equals weight loss