Is being hungry part of it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    A lot of time, "hunger" is actually thirst. Drink more and you might find yourself less hungry.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I found that for my first three weeks on a serious (600-700) calorie deficit, I was often quite hungry a few hours after my last meal. I found distraction, water, and dill pickles to be the best way to deal with it, in that order: if concentrating on something important didn't help, then I'd have a glass of water; if I was still hungry 10 minutes later, I'd eat a pickle.

After about three weeks, it got a lot easier. My guess is that I had adapted to more readily using stored fat cells as energy.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Feeling "not done" after a meal=yes
    Nausea, light-headedness, headaches=no
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bronaghCPM wrote: »
    Yep, unfortunately I think that losing weight means learning to live with a little hunger. It's just not something your body will be used to at first, but it doesn't have to be too unpleasant.

As people have already pointed out there's a difference between mental hunger and "real" hunger. Someone gave me a good tip for distinguishing between them; basically have a nourishing but not particularly appealing snack in the fridge at all times (in this case it was the weight watchers point free soup), if you think you're hungry, ask yourself if you want the snack. If the answer is yes, then great! you're hungry, eat something. If the answer is no, then you're probably not actually hungry you're just bored, peckish, having a craving etc.

As long as you're not starving yourself, you'll learn to live with it.

I use this method but I use a salad! I hate salad and make myself eat it 1 or 2 a week, I like all the veg in a salad but something about iceberg is just yuck. We always have a salad in the fridge my husbands favorite food. I know I a truly hungry if I pull out that salad to eat. (normally I add spinach and it isn't too bad)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It is. Say what you will about macros or finding foods that keep you full but at the end of the day, eating below maintenance will leave you hungry sometimes. It shouldn't be all consuming nor stop you from functioning but there are definitely points when you need some willpower to stay on track.
  • idare_fitness
    idare_fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all of this is blowing my mind. Being hungry is a good thing? Who feels good when your stomach is growling non-stop? I can't stand it when my stomach growls. I get, what some may call, "hangry". When I'm hungry, I turn into a raging a-hole. I have to have food, always! Maybe that's why I can't lose weight. I struggle with it, for sure. I think I may be addicted to food. High levels of salt is also in my diet. I want to stop, but I don't know how. It scares me because as soon as my stomach growls I freak out.

I think my problem is mentality. For example, people who smoke cigarettes need nicotine to feel better when they are stressed out or angry. I need food when I feel stressed out or angry. How do I defeat this?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all of this is blowing my mind. Being hungry is a good thing? Who feels good when your stomach is growling non-stop? I can't stand it when my stomach growls. I get, what some may call, "hangry". When I'm hungry, I turn into a raging a-hole. I have to have food, always! Maybe that's why I can't lose weight. I struggle with it, for sure. I think I may be addicted to food. High levels of salt is also in my diet. I want to stop, but I don't know how. It scares me because as soon as my stomach growls I freak out.

I think my problem is mentality. For example, people who smoke cigarettes need nicotine to feel better when they are stressed out or angry. I need food when I feel stressed out or angry. How do I defeat this?

Practice. Youll get there :p Welcome to MFP
  • idare_fitness
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Practice. Youll get there :p Welcome to MFP

Well, at least I'm here. Baby steps.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

Take up smoking?

J/K :)
  • idare_fitness
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Take up smoking?

J/K :)

LOL. You're funny. Actually, believe it or not, I've tried that. I hated it, so I quit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »
    Do you think learning to be a little hungry is part of weight loss in the beginning?

No.

Learning the difference between hunger and appetite is a huge part of this.

Those who fail to learn the difference will struggle.

http://www.medbroadcast.com/channel/nutrition/diets-and-specific-foods/appetite-vs-hunger

"Hunger is the need to eat. If you're hungry, you need food because your body is telling you so. It's sending you signals, like those rumbling stomach growls known as hunger pangs. Hunger cannot be controlled; it is instinctive. And for some individuals, ignoring hunger can cause serious consequences. Waiting too long to eat once hunger kicks in may mean the risk of low blood sugar and the wooziness and fatigue that come with it.

Appetite is the desire to eat. Appetite occurs as a coordinated effort between your brain and your belly. When you feast your eyes on a delicious, delectable food, your mouth may water, and you can practically taste it and feel the textures on your palate. Even the mere thought of food can elicit the same emotional response. But unlike hunger, appetite can be ignored. And since appetite levels are greatly influenced by your brain, it is a learned behaviour, and you can even learn to control and change the level of your appetite."