Squats and running

Options
rickiimarieee
rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
For ladies and gentlemen out there maybe you can answer this for me. I do weighted squats and normal squats (no weight) I do them correctly I've had a personal trainer in the past he showed me the correct way. Anyways I don't understand how it tones your thighs and butt. After my workout I feel sore on the front of my thighs but haven't felt or noticed a difference on the back of my thighs or butt. No change no toning, nothing. I naturally have a big butt but I've been wanting to tone that and back of my thighs. Help?

Edit: I want to begin running which i haven't done for a few, any tips on getting started, what to do and what not to do. Rest periods or rest days? Can I hear what helped you the most?

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    Options
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    I started running in June by using the c25k app 3 times a week. When I started I struggled with running for a minute but the app really helped get into it. I am now up to 8k and training with the 10k app. I have really noticed a difference in my legs.
    Thank you! I'll look into that!!
    Squat to proper depth (hip joint below knee joint).

Add deadlifts.
    I do squat to proper depth but I don't deadlift! I'll have to try that thank you!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Squats do work your hamstrings and glutes whether you feel it or not! C25k for running. You can browse through the many running threads on this forum for tons of tips and advice. There are several active at any time (i just counted 8 on my first pages) and you are welcome to read them.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I run and do StrongLifts. I also support C25K. I also started with no running skills whatsoever, and last week I completed my first 10K. Take it slowly and don't run every day because that will increase your risks for injury.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Weighted glute bridges will fire 'em up.
    Thank you I will try it :)
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    I run and do StrongLifts. I also support C25K. I also started with no running skills whatsoever, and last week I completed my first 10K. Take it slowly and don't run every day because that will increase your risks for injury.
    Thank you! I seen people talking about C25K from couch but I had no idea it was an app! I downloaded it! :)
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Squats do work your hamstrings and glutes whether you feel it or not! C25k for running. You can browse through the many running threads on this forum for tons of tips and advice. There are several active at any time (i just counted 8 on my first pages) and you are welcome to read them.

Yeah I seen people talking about C25K from couch but I had no idea it was an app! Thank you!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    For ladies and gentlemen out there maybe you can answer this for me. I do weighted squats and normal squats (no weight) I do them correctly I've had a personal trainer in the past he showed me the correct way. Anyways I don't understand how it tones your thighs and butt. After my workout I feel sore on the front of my thighs but haven't felt or noticed a difference on the back of my thighs or butt. No change no toning, nothing. I naturally have a big butt but I've been wanting to tone that and back of my thighs. Help?

Edit: I want to begin running which i haven't done for a few, any tips on getting started, what to do and what not to do. Rest periods or rest days? Can I hear what helped you the most?

how long have you been squatting. you will need to be doing a progressive lifting program for a while , along with an appropriate diet to see "toning" results. The fact you are feeling your squats in your thighs/quads sounds like you might not be doing them correctly, even if someone showed you, not all trainers get it. And squats are actually a full body movement, so if really want to target your glutes you should do more than just squats. Check out Strong Curves for a really solid glute building program.
    Thank you!! Yeah I suppose you're right about the trainer. I've tried to watch videos as well on YouTube and most do the same as I do. But I've been squatting for awhile I do more normal squats then weighted due to the fact of time and schedule.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like weighted hip thrusts and straight-legged deadlifts for glutes. I read a study on muscle activation which found that the glutes are not actually activated that much during squats, even when done properly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

how long have you been squatting. you will need to be doing a progressive lifting program for a while , along with an appropriate diet to see "toning" results. The fact you are feeling your squats in your thighs/quads sounds like you might not be doing them correctly, even if someone showed you, not all trainers get it. And squats are actually a full body movement, so if really want to target your glutes you should do more than just squats. Check out Strong Curves for a really solid glute building program.

All of this.
    And yes, Strong Curves is amazing. Definitely check it out.
  • amywhoa
    amywhoa Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Glute activation is key! I like donkey kick backs, straight leg kick backs, fire hydrants and clam shells. I do that with small resistance bands or ankle weights. Also squeeze ur glutes at the top of the squats to engage ur glutes even more. Try to Incorporate sumo squats into ur routine they focus more on glutes and hamstring than ur quads!!

If u are new to running go at a comfortable pace and work up after a week or two. U can do intervals of 30 sec work 20 sec rest like HIIT training. I enjoy powerwalking on the treadmill at 15 incline 3-3.7 speed. I have bad kn33s so I have to be careful. Make sure to warm up and rest after.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    2 very different questions here...

First, squats work most of your lower body. Actually they work most of your body, including some upper body muscle groups. But there are 2 buts here... But #1 - you have to engage all those muscles. You can have sloppy technique and still complete the movement, but not get the most out of it. But #2 - yes, it works multiple muscle groups, including your posterior chain, but it hits some muscles harder than others, and some muscle groups are naturally stronger than others. So just because it works a particular muscle, doesn't mean it works it hard or that you'll feel it in that muscle group.

IMO, this is part of the problem with MFP and the canned response of "squat and deadlift" to every question. They are great lifts for sure, but they aren't magical... and depending on your goals, there may be more effective lifts to do. If you want to target your hams/glutes specifically, then do ham/glute specific movements (hip thrusts, RDLs, GHRs, etc).

As far as running goes, there are 2 different approaches. (1) Just go run. Go slow, do what you can, walk when you need to. Then over time, increase how long/far you run, just do it gradually. (2) Follow a program like Couch to 5K.

Both can work, which is better is largely personal preference.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and gulte bridges for that posterior chain.

Check out "Zombies, Run!" on your phone.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Squats aren't the best for working the hamstrings though they do. Deadlifts are good for hamstrings and glutes as are lunges, good mornings, hip thrusts and low bar back squats. A whole range of movements are needed, low body fat levels to reveal the muscle and time to see change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Squats will use your glutes and hamstrings, but they're not predominant...you should continue to squat and also dead lift, but if you want to target your glutes, you should also do some movements that are more specific to that area.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I didn't get any hamstring or glute development until I added Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs), sometimes called straight legged deadlifts. And I did them incorrectly for a long time. My current coach corrected my form a little, and omg what a difference. I did deads and glute bridges too but RDLs did it for me. Check out vids by either Silent Mike or Alan Thrall on this move, either guy knows what they are talking about. (yes I know them both, they are both nuts but know their stuff)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I need to focus on pushing my weight into my heels, rather than my toes, to feel squats in my glutes and hamstrings. Otherwise, it targets my quads more and makes my knees hurt. Wearing flat shoes - like chucks - instead of my running shoes helps.

Another vote for Couch to 5k for running.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yup, add deadlifts, and lunges (I really feel these in my butt), and maybe glute bridges.

I do squats, and straight legged deadlifts (hits hamstrings a lot) on day 1, and regular deadlifts and lunges on day 2.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    QuikDogs wrote: »
    I didn't get any hamstring or glute development until I added Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs), sometimes called straight legged deadlifts. And I did them incorrectly for a long time. My current coach corrected my form a little, and omg what a difference. I did deads and glute bridges too but RDLs did it for me. Check out vids by either Silent Mike or Alan Thrall on this move, either guy knows what they are talking about. (yes I know them both, they are both nuts but know their stuff)

RDLs and Straight/Stiff legged deadlifts are different movements.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion.