RMR vs NEAT

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
My hydrotank test today gave me 1613 for RMR and says its 70% of my daily burn which works out to 2300. MFP gives me 1600 for NEAT in maintenance. That's probably not too far off, plus 200-300 exercise cals. Any insight into what seems to be a huge discrepancy and how does the body fat truck estimate RMR? TIA.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    A body fat test that gives you RMR is doing an arithmetic calculation. It is just using the body fat % as a way to refine the numbers based on the fact that RMR is different for fat tissue than lean tissue. Since a hydro test cannot directly measure muscle, it is estimating how much of your lean mass is muscle.

I don’t know that the hydro number is any more accurate in general than MFP. For the average person I don’t think muscle/fat mass makes a huge difference in RMR (unless one is highly obese, or has a lot of muscle).
  • lorrpb
    Options
    My weight is exactly the same as a year ago. I lost 2 lb fat and gained 2 lb muscle, and RMR went up by 15, so that's the difference based on body comp.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Unless you are doing serial metabolic testing, all of your RMR numbers are estimates. And those equations are not accurate enough to measure a 15 kcal difference in RMR.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I should have said the RMR estimate went up by 15 cals.