Breathing while running

Options
I have been doing the C25K and I am starting week 5 tomorrow. I have been able to run just fine and dont feel tired but the biggest issue is my breathing. I dont feel like i can get in a rhythm of breathing and always feel like my chest is tight....If it wasn't for the breathing part I think I could run longer distances....Any suggestions/ tips/ advice would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Replies

• davinmandy
    Options
    I find running with someone easier and I tell them at the beginning that I will talk to them but no offence taken if they don't reply. I find talking whilst running sorts my breathing out. If I am alone I sing, If I am sprinting ( or trying ) I count.

I forget about trying to breath! When I think of breathing it's much harder, when I do something eg talking i run at my best.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation. If you do that while running alone don't be surprised if you get a few funny looks (you could always pretend you're on a cell phone...)

An easy method, if you're running solo, is to match your breathing to your steps. For a slow, easy run I aim for 4 steps in, 4 steps out. Takes a little practice and if you're getting out of breath just slow down a little.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Take deep breaths into your stomach and try to make your inhales and exhales last for 3-4 paces each. Hope that helps. :)
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    I breathe extremely deep and slow while running. I take a nice deep breath in, and breath it out slow. This gives me enough oxygen to finish my cardio... blahhh
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    The breathing excercises I learned doing yoga were very helpful when I started running; I do the 4 steps while breathing in, 4 steps while breathing out [through slightly pursed lips, as in yoga] that other posters mentioned. If I feel I'm having trouble keeping my breath, I slow down.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I have always had breathing issues while running. For a while I matched my breathing with my steps in order to kinda train myself to breather more evenly and deeply. It made me actively focus on the breathing which seemed to help. I also learned to slow down to a pace that didn't make my chest tighten so much. As your cardio gets better, you'll be able to run faster without the tightness.

Edit: Also make sure you are breathing through your mouth. I know it should be obvious but just in case.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you cannot catch your breath and you feel chest tightening then I believe you are going to fast (for now).
    In time it will come together.
    I think if you feel pain in your chest you are not getting enough oxygen.
    Oxygen is good.
    No oxygen is bad.

(of course there could be something more to the issue, but that is medical and you would need a dr. to get help)
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Silly as it may sound I find that chewing gum while running actually helps with my breathing. I still have a little trouble but it seems to help a lot! Hope this helps!
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had this problem it's a pain! Try and take good deep breaths and don't be worried about just slowing up for a few minutes until you get your breath back :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My initial recommendation is as above, you should be able to talk while you run. Otherwise, you're running harder than your body can maintain for long.

When I would train at faster paces, and had to deal with breathing, I worked to find a breathing cadence that matched up with my stride (breathe in for left right, breathe out for left right). Try different cadences and see what works best for you.
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always been quite a quick breather when I work out. I've now gotten into the pattern when I am going quite hard to do two counts of breathing in, and one breathing out - with each count being a step. So in-in-out.

I like having something to focus on while I'm running, and making sure I am exhaling on alternative feet really helps distract from the distances I am running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slower. You should be able to hold a conversation. Speed will come in time. Don't worry if you feel it's too slow to start with
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Silly as it may sound I find that chewing gum while running actually helps with my breathing. I still have a little trouble but it seems to help a lot! Hope this helps!
    Me too! Also, keeps my mouth wet, which is a great help, I hate when my throat gets sore from breathing heavy. I am, however, always a bit worried I may choke on the gum...

I run with headphones on and I silently sing along with the music, that helps to control breath when you don't have a running buddy to talk with.