Tofu???

Options
13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    The problem is they don't list "fungus" on the package, and they won't. There is an intent to deceive right there.

Canada has stricter food guidelines than the US and the UK, and incorrect labels are one thing that really cheese off our government. No one would buy it if they listed it as a fungus, so call it a mushroom or something else. That doesn't fly in the great white north.

There is also the fact that allergic reactions are much higher in Quorn than for soy or milk or other controls. Not to mention the fact that it is made from a fungus they found in the ground. It hasn't had sufficient long term studies. All things that will cause the Canadian Food and Drug people to refuse to let it in the stores. We can order it from online sources if we are desperate for it, but I doubt anyone is that desperate for mycoprotein fungus in the shape of roast.

It says mycoprotein on labels in the U.S., which I think is pretty clear and accurate. Does the Canadian Food and Drug agency bar food if the label says glucose, sucrose, fructose, maltose, etc. instead of sugar?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    The problem is they don't list "fungus" on the package, and they won't. There is an intent to deceive right there.

Canada has stricter food guidelines than the US and the UK, and incorrect labels are one thing that really cheese off our government. No one would buy it if they listed it as a fungus, so call it a mushroom or something else. That doesn't fly in the great white north.

There is also the fact that allergic reactions are much higher in Quorn than for soy or milk or other controls. Not to mention the fact that it is made from a fungus they found in the ground. It hasn't had sufficient long term studies. All things that will cause the Canadian Food and Drug people to refuse to let it in the stores. We can order it from online sources if we are desperate for it, but I doubt anyone is that desperate for mycoprotein fungus in the shape of roast.

From their website: "Rather than using livestock, we take a natural nutritious fungus from the soil and ferment it to produce a dough called Mycoprotein™."

And the labels say "mycoprotein" in the US. Where is the intent to deceive? What is incorrect about that?

If your argument is that the Canadian government doesn't think much of the reading comprehension skills of their citizens, I'll accept that. What I won't accept is that Quorn is somehow to blame for the Canadian government's assessment.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how in the world you cook tofu or what you even do with it? I’ve never had it before but the amount of protein in it seems beneficial. Any tasty recipe suggestions?

Try it out a couple of times before making it yourself. Most Chinese places will have good examples of typical dishes (my favorite is Mapo Tofu but it's not exactly a diet dish), as will most vegetarian/health focused restaurants.
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Dice "Extra Firm" Tofu and throw it in a pan with eggs and bacon. YUM! :)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll

Incorrect. I'm a mushroom fanatic and I finally tried it when I saw it mentioned 'fungi family' on the box because I know mushrooms are a fungus. So yes, it does mention fungus on the box and nice blanket generalization there on what someone may or may not do after seeing that word.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Following. I've been wanting to try it for years but haven't gotten up the nerve, as silly as that sounds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I ran two failures before I found this recipe:

http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2014/06/crispy-baked-tofu-teriyaki-bowl/

If this hadn't worked, hubby would not have permitted the stuff in the house again. Now we have it a couple times a month.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how in the world you cook tofu or what you even do with it? I’ve never had it before but the amount of protein in it seems beneficial. Any tasty recipe suggestions?

Tofu lover, here! Let me step you through it.

1. Look for firm or extra firm tofu. I love the NaSoya brand.
    2. You can either freeze extra tofu in it's sealed carton and thaw at a later time or keep it in your fridge. Frozen and thawed tofu has a chewier, more meatier texture when cooked.
    3. You will know if your tofu has gone bad. Fresh tofu smells a bit like watered down beans. Bad tofu has an unpleasant, fermented odor.
    4. Tofu is packed in water. The water should be a milky white or pale clear yellowish color without much of an odor.
    5. Slice off however much tofu you want to use and wrap it in a clean kitchen towel or several layers of paper towel and give it a gentle squeeze to press out excess water.
    6. At this point you can slice it, cube it, or even crumble it. Below are my favorite ways to prepare it.

Crispy tofu Asian wrap
    1 tortilla or wrap of your choice
    Lettuce
    Carrot, peeled into little shavings or finely Julienned
    Cucumber, cut into small cubes or sticks
    A small amount of fresh cilantro
    Finely sliced red onion
    1/2 cup prepared brown rice

Spread:
    2tbsp of PB2, or unsweetened powdered peanut butter of your choice
    1tbsp pure maple syrup
    The juice from 1/2 lime
    1/4tsp sesame seeds
    Blend well, spread all over wrap. Spread rice over peanut spread and set aside

100g of pressed extra firm tofu
    A splash of low sodium soy sauce
    A 1/2 tsp sriracha

Cut tofu into thin slices then cut into small cubes. Put in a pan over medium heat. Cover in a splash of soy sauce. Add a small amount of water to your pan if it sticks too much. Add sriracha and cook, turning pieces over occasionally, until pieces are golden brown. Assemble wrap.

Tofu Scramble
    1/2 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled (just pinch between fingers until it breaks apart)
    Splash of soy sauce
    Nutritional Yeast (I buy Red Star brand on Amazon)
    Turmeric, for color
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Your choice of herbs, spices, and veggies. I have used spinach, onions, peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.
    Cook over medium heat until heated through. This can be made in bulk and will keep in the fridge for a few days. It is excellent on toast.

Easy Tofu "Bacon" Bits
    I make this in a convection oven at 425 degrees for 20 or more minutes, depending on how much liquid I can press out of the tofu will determine how long I have to bake it.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together 2tbsp soy sauce, 2tsp liquid smoke, 1tbsp of maple syrup, and 2tbsp water. Crumble tofu into bowl, just like with the tofu scramble, and gently stir around until pieces are coated and have absorbed the liquid. Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees, stirring around occasionally, until the pieces are dark brown and crispy. Sprinkle on salads or a baked potato.

BBQ Tofu Sandwich
    Extra firm tofu cut into thin "patties"
    2tbsp of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce cut with 2tbsp water
    Brush both sides of your tofu patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
    Bake at 400 degrees until the BBQ sauce is bubbly. Serve on a bun with your choice of condiments and toppings.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If you dont like tofu dont eat tofu. Plenty of ways to get our protein in vegetarian, vegan or meat lover.
    Basically:
    Firm / Extra firm = place on paper towel and put something heavy on top to drain the extra water. Best for baking, stir fry etc.
    Firm / Medium = best in soups.
    Silken / Soft = best in deserts or soup.

Tofu has absolutely no flavour, texture is a different thing. Whatever and however you season it with, that how it will taste.

One thing that seems to have not been mentioned... Silken is a separate “style” of tofu, not just a level of firmness. It is much softer that regular tofu, but it also comes in soft to firm/extra firm versions. But even the extra firm version of silken wouldn't be recommend for baking, stir fry, etc.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    There a billions ways to cook it and I dislike all of them......I did a study abroad in Japan and my hosts took us to the SUPER FANCY and SUPER EXPENSIVE tofu place- where they had per-ordered SEVEN freaken courses . I loathed all of it but gagged it down because it was so pricey! So try it a bunch of ways, but if you don't like it don't feel to bad.
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Google "Mexican Chocolate Tofu Pudding" and follow the NYTimes Mark Bittman recipe. It is fabulous and no one that ever tries it will know it is tofu.