What if you stop working out?

Options
I’m in a bit of a conundrum right now, I’m 5ft1 and my current weight is 106lbs. The thing is, I have been working out quite instensively 5-6 days a week for a few months and my body is really looks nice and tight. My glutes, hamstrings, abs, biceps, triceps, calves and back muscles are nicely toned and formed. Lately, I have been feeling like my built looks too athletic. Because I have been doing squats a lot, my posterior has been uplifted and obviously I have gained a couple of inches of muscle there and on my biceps and thighs. I know that’s not a bad thing, but the issue is that I have my wedding coming up in 10 weeks, and I have already got my dress custom made. Is it possible to lose the inches that you gain from muscle buildup if you stop working out for sometime? If so, how long before you actually see changes?
And do you also lose weight in that process?

Replies

• haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd eat to maintain but I'd probably still stick with my routine that I was doing while regularly going for dress fittings.

But you've posted before about still wanting to lose more weight so I have no idea how to really answer you.

Did my dress fittings in the beginning of the year because getting it from another country
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly stop woking out you may lose some water weight. A few years ago I was working out and lifting 5-6 days a week for 1-1.5 hours a day. I had a pretty severe unrelated injury and had to stop everything. Within 2 weeks I had lost close to 10 lbs. My guess was that it was from the water and glycogen that my muscles had been holding on to. I did not get noticeably smaller though.

So, my guess is that you might lose some (water) weight but you are at a good weight for your height... if the dress fits, I would not worry about it. Maybe just buy some shaping undergarments?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your stats are such you don't need to lose more weight. I doubt you'll see such huge changes in 10 weeks that your dress won't fit. If anything you could back off to 3 days of slughtly lighter Weights, more reps and maintain your current physique for 10 weeks..
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Girl, you're fine.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you suddenly stop woking out you may lose some water weight. A few years ago I was working out and lifting 5-6 days a week for 1-1.5 hours a day. I had a pretty severe unrelated injury and had to stop everything. Within 2 weeks I had lost close to 10 lbs. My guess was that it was from the water and glycogen that my muscles had been holding on to. I did not get noticeably smaller though.

So, my guess is that you might lose some (water) weight but you are at a good weight for your height... if the dress fits, I would not worry about it. Maybe just buy some shaping undergarments?

Conversely, it's also possible to gain some weight, thanks to glycogen stores being replenished, and carrying water along with them. Admittedly, I don't do strength training, so maybe lifting is different from cardio in that regard. I'm a distance runner, so glycogen stores get used pretty quickly, and eating at a deficit doesn't really let them get restored to any meaningful level.

I've got a stress fracture, and have been on limited activity for about two weeks now, and while I was *hoping* that I'd lose that water weight, despite eating less (and yes, with accurate logging, with a scale, and USDA entries), it's actually nudged up a bit.
  • haniame
    Options
    Thank you for the insight! Really helpful!
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Keep working out but eat less
  • haniame
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Mentioned above why i can’t workout
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    haniame wrote: »

No you haven't.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options

No you haven't.

Well, she did, but it was in another thread on another board, I think the Food & Nutrition board. In that she mentions something about internal bleeding. Seems incredibly serious to me, but I know no other details.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    To answer OP, it depends on age and what you eat and probably other factors as well. Muscle memory works towards your favor, however.
  • haniame
    Options

No you haven't.

So sorry. I posted it but it didn’t go through. I have been having internal bleeding which is stopping me from working out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... you claim to not be able to work out yet this thread is asking how much you should be working out...
  • haniame
    Options
    I'm confused... you claim to not be able to work out yet this thread is asking how much you should be working out...

Um no. Read the questions in the OP. I asked how much i lose if i stop working out
  • haniame
    Options

Um no. Read the questions in the OP. I asked how much i lose if i stop working out

I think they mean within all of your recent posts. You've posted some contradictory things so it's hard to know what advice to give to you

Bleeding started two days ago.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How do you think anyone can answer that?
  • haniame
    Options

How do you think anyone can answer that?

From people’s experience :/