Running alone vs running races

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm an introvert who likes being around people as long as I don't have to interact with them. So races are perfect.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like running races, and for a long time I was really into just running by myself for my own edification. I really do like the competition aspect of it, so I'll keep running races as I find the race distance I'm most comfortable with. I definitely run faster at races, so it helps me see the payoff to all the training I do.

@DX2JX2 Lol @ easy 10-miler. :)

Really it's up to you on what feels best to you. I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to join a running club or anything, although I do see the value in that. I have a bit of social anxiety, so the whole notion of making new friends when I'm 43 is completely terrifying.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

@DX2JX2 Lol @ easy 10-miler. :)

I know, right? I remember when 5K felt like an achievement.

That said, I haven't done an easy 10 in a while. I really do mean easy when I say easy and 10 miles seemed like it took forever, no matter how interesting a podcast I had loaded. About an hour (roughly 7 miles) seems to be my sweet spot for now since I'm not training for anything specific. Short enough to stay fun and long enough to feel like more than my normal daily runs.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys, it's really interesting to see what different people's motivations are and how everyone feels about things.
    I bet you could get your 10k time under an hour!

(This sort of thinking is where the motivation comes from.)

Haha this is exactly what my partner says! But he's super motivated by trying to get a new PB whereas for me the achievement was actually being able to run 10k in the first place, I do aim to improve my speed but am not in a rush, I'm pretty chilled! :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am not a fast runner but when I run races I am faster than running by myself cuz others around me pushes me. But I don't like run clubs or running with others because I enjoy the peace and solitude and I enjoy running at my own pace and not dealing with trying to keep up with others.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    My training runs are solos but I love races -- not small ones, but really big ones with 10K+ runners. It's an amazing feeling to be part of something so large, and know that you've got something in common with all those people. I joke that the only reason I train is so I can do races.

I mean, I still do smaller things like our Y's Turkey Trot (but even that has 4300 runners), but I've found that the vibe at larger runs is just amazing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My training runs are solos but I love races -- not small ones, but really big ones with 10K+ runners.

Argh, sounds horrendous.

The races I enjoy are 400-600 runners, but they are trail as well.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who just enjoys the solitude. I can't run at the moment - I miss it and hope to get back to it - but when I was, the idea of running races didn't appeal to me at all. I just loved getting outdoors and running. I couldn't even tell you my pace or times as I didn't keep track.

I enjoy the meditative aspect of it, if you know what I mean. I enjoy other exercise but (for me anyway) there is something unique about running.

I totally know what you mean about the meditative aspect of it. Though I listen to podcasts or audiobooks, one half of my mind is always zoned it. That time spent zoned out is very therapeutic.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My training runs are solos but I love races -- not small ones, but really big ones with 10K+ runners.

Argh, sounds horrendous.

The races I enjoy are 400-600 runners, but they are trail as well.

Eh, different things for different people. I hate the feeling of being isolated/isolating on long races. I'm not fast, so if there's more runners, there's a pretty good chance I'm not one out of 10 people going along at my pace.

That, and in my area, the big races tend to attract more community members who come out to cheer, and who stay the whole thing. That's amazing to me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I've never done a really big race. My biggest was a little under 1000, and we lost 800 of them when the HM split off. I'm signed up for a really big one next spring (30,000) and I'm not sure how I'll do with that kind of crowd. People say the support and excitement are incredible. I'm a bit concerned that the sheer noise level is going to be overwhelming for someone more used to solitude and silence.
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've recently started parkrun, and the 5k race on Sat am is very motivational for me as regards training. Im only racing against myself at the moment and trying to get my time down from a sluggish 33:59. All my training is solo however, as I prefer to run solo also.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I’m like you OP. I much prefer running alone. To me, organized running events are chaotic, expensive, and actually overwhelming to me with all of the crowds.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do most of my training runs by myself, but without an end goal in mind I would lack the structure I need to make much progress. I need and enjoy the structure of following a training plan to prepare for an event. I've spent a good portion of this year training for two half marathons. In between training plans I continued to run, but I prefer having a plan. It pushes me in a good way. I still get to enjoy my runs as "me time" and I am working towards a goal. On race day I usually get a nice boost of adrenaline. I'm a middle of the pack runner, but I still enjoy the thrill of the race.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Probably 99% of my running is solo, something I enjoy thoroughly but I also sign up for a handful of races during the year (this past year was pretty evenly split between running & triathlons) as a way of testing my fitness and I enjoy racing.

If you're considering racing all I can say is to give it a try. I still vividly remember crossing the finish line for my first 5K, it took me almost 40 min but you feel like a champion with the crowd cheering you on etc. Just remember to smile for the finish line photo!
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Running races has completely ruined running alone to the point where I've barely trained for my next half marathon. It's gonna be interesting. I love running with other people around, but not necessarily WITH people all of the time. Races allow me to be as friendly or solitary as I choose.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I love running on my own. Don't like it with a group (don't even run with my husband) and am not intending to race. I run for me and not against another. My husband does run races and TBH if I see those massive crowd running I just want to run the other way. Way too many people
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've always ran on my own from day one. I don't like chit chat or having to keep up or slow up for someone else. But I find doing organized runs though I always run better and have a faster time then a regular run. I've done 7 half marathons and just that motivation from people watching and clapping for you as your running I find is just a great feeling. The marathon I do has about 10,000 runners in total so there are a lot of people cheering you on as you run. I always look forward to those Sunday marathons for that main reason.