Cold weather and comfort food?

Options
I hate the cold. I'm a Summer person through and through, I start shivering in anything under 20 C (not exactly well adapted to the North of England, am I?). Anyway, through the middle months of the year I developed great habits- cutting down on sugar, choosing options with higher quantities of fresh veggies, etc. But now it's getting cold and all I want to do is eat hot apple crumble and hot drinks and anything full of potatoes and pasta. I know it's fine in small quantities but it's all I want to eat! Currently I'm trying to eat a lot of root veg to fill me up and I'm going through a lot of sweet potato trying to curb my sweet tooth. It's not quite the same as warm chocolate cake with hot chocolate fudge sauce though...

I guess it's natural to want high energy foods in Winter but I really don't want to ruin my progress. How do you stop yourself going crazy on the heavy carbs everyday and resist the sweet cravings?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I usually try and make warm meals but make substitutes to lower carbs- roast meat and vegies (not just starches), soups, bolognese with zoodles, curries or chilli with Cauliflower rice, shepherds pie with Cauliflower mash, etc

You could stew apples/pear/berries and serve with toasted muesli as pretend crumble. I drink lots of tea and coffee in winter too!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've been the same lately. So I've been eating a lot of pasta and pasta bakes but a normal portion comes to ~600cals so that's not too bad. I also have been eating almost all my other calories in the form of fruit. I just crave sweet and fruit like hell. I eat at least 4 varieties of fruit per day lately. It's been easy to eat around 1400-1500cals a day (at the moment I don't walk so I maintain around there). So I don't find it a problem.
    I also like to mix boiled pumpkin or sqwash with soy milk, vanila and sweetner into a soft mash for dessert. I've loved this since I was a child.
    Try to incorporate more comfort food without going over.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Soups, stews, teas, lighter/lower calorie versions of hearty dishes, or fit the really good stuff in your calorie intake when you can.

I bulk in the fall/winter, so that's my solution :D