Instant Pot

Options
Its_T_Time
Its_T_Time Posts: 1,490 Member
I recently bought an instant pot. I love trying new things, but the recipe book that came with it is full of things that I’m really not interested in trying & they take just as long to cook if I were to cook on the stove or in the oven. The purpose for this purchase was for easy, practical recipes that are almost “instantly” ready. Does anyone have any experience with this kitchen gadget? Any easy, quick and healthy recipes you’d care to share?

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree instant is a bad label. It does cook some things faster. You can get a long cooked flavor it less time. But when you have to wait for it to come to pressure and naturally let the pressure release after it has cooked it seems far from instant. What I like about it is the set it and walk away benefit. No stirring just put something in and go do something else.

Some tips: It does helps if you start with a hot pot. It comes to pressure a lot faster. The fuller the pot the long it will take to heat up and come to pressure. It also works in reverse to. If the pot is full it will take longer for the pot to naturally release it's pressure.

I have been making quinoa for lunches. 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup water or broth. 1 minute high pressure. NPR (natural pressure release) It does comes to pressure pretty fast.

This recipe is fast but only works with thin cut pork chops and white rice. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/11/instant-pot-pork-chops-and-celery-rice.html

I use it for soup, chicken, stews, Indian food, rice, lots of different things.

There is a group started and there are several recipes there. I hope you will go check it out. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips

Also check out the Facebook group Instant Pot Community. Bloggers: Pressure Luck, Adventures of a Nurse, Two Sleevers, Pressure Cook Recipes, Once a Month Meals, This Old Gal.

I hope this helps :smile:
  • Its_T_Time
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I agree instant is a bad label. It does cook some things faster. You can get a long cooked flavor it less time. But when you have to wait for it to come to pressure and naturally let the pressure release after it has cooked it seems far from instant. What I like about it is the set it and walk away benefit. No stirring just put something in and go do something else.

Some tips: It does helps if you start with a hot pot. It comes to pressure a lot faster. The fuller the pot the long it will take to heat up and come to pressure. It also works in reverse to. If the pot is full it will take longer for the pot to naturally release it's pressure.

I have been making quinoa for lunches. 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup water or broth. 1 minute high pressure. NPR (natural pressure release) It does comes to pressure pretty fast.

This recipe is fast but only works with thin cut pork chops and white rice. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/11/instant-pot-pork-chops-and-celery-rice.html

I use it for soup, chicken, stews, Indian food, rice, lots of different things.

There is a group started and there are several recipes there. I hope you will go check it out. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips

Also check out the Facebook group Instant Pot Community. Bloggers: Pressure Luck, Adventures of a Nurse, Two Sleevers, Pressure Cook Recipes, Once a Month Meals, This Old Gal.

I hope this helps :smile:

This is great!! Ty so much! I’ve already joined the group ☺️
  • Its_T_Time
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »

Thanks! I love cookbooks. I think this would be a great addition to my collection. I appreciate the tip!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Its_T_Time wrote: »
    I recently bought an instant pot. I love trying new things, but the recipe book that came with it is full of things that I’m really not interested in trying & they take just as long to cook if I were to cook on the stove or in the oven. The purpose for this purchase was for easy, practical recipes that are almost “instantly” ready. Does anyone have any experience with this kitchen gadget? Any easy, quick and healthy recipes you’d care to share?

Healthy is subjective, but my favorite things to use the Instant Pot for are homemade yogurt, fruit compote to go in the yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs (I use the 5/5/5 method)--they peel so easily!

Tonight's dinner is going to be white bean and sausage soup: https://www.goodinthesimple.com/instant-pot-smoked-sausage-white-bean-vegetable-soup/

I like Dad Cooks Dinner's recipes, I've made his gumbo and a couple of his chili recipes. https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have made dozens of things but super easy shredded chicken breast is a new fav. 4 skinless and boneless breasts on the bottom, 1/2 cup of water and 1 tbsp of chilli powder sprinkled over. Pressure mode, 15 minutes and a natural release. Very moist, easy to shred with tongs or 2 forks. Can use it straight up, in salads, corn soft tacos, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of recipes for the Instant Pot. Try entering some of your favorite dishes into search and add "Instant pot" to see what turns up. I like Indian food and I've found tons of dishes that way.
  • jennylg44
    jennylg44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree Pinterest has a ton of recipes. I have made a whole chicken, potatoes for mashed potatoes, rice, hard boiled eggs, irish beef stew and steel cut oats. I've only had mine a few months.
  • Its_T_Time
    Options

Thanks! I love cookbooks. I think this would be a great addition to my collection. I appreciate the tip!

The macaroni and cheese recipe in it is sooooo good! I love that you dump everything together and don't have to boil anything or stir. Done in 7 mins (after it reaches pressure).

Yum!
  • Its_T_Time
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »

Healthy is subjective, but my favorite things to use the Instant Pot for are homemade yogurt, fruit compote to go in the yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs (I use the 5/5/5 method)--they peel so easily!

Tonight's dinner is going to be white bean and sausage soup: https://www.goodinthesimple.com/instant-pot-smoked-sausage-white-bean-vegetable-soup/

I like Dad Cooks Dinner's recipes, I've made his gumbo and a couple of his chili recipes. https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/

This is awesome! Thanks so much!
  • Its_T_Time
    Options
    Chris_2013 wrote: »
    I have made dozens of things but super easy shredded chicken breast is a new fav. 4 skinless and boneless breasts on the bottom, 1/2 cup of water and 1 tbsp of chilli powder sprinkled over. Pressure mode, 15 minutes and a natural release. Very moist, easy to shred with tongs or 2 forks. Can use it straight up, in salads, corn soft tacos, etc.

Thank you! This is exactly what I’m talking about! Perfect!
  • Its_T_Time
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of recipes for the Instant Pot. Try entering some of your favorite dishes into search and add "Instant pot" to see what turns up. I like Indian food and I've found tons of dishes that way.

Ooooo! Great idea! Thanks!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Another must try is Pho. It is so good. I used this video from Cuong Can Cook. https://youtube.com/watch?v=7w8zsYfnbpM&t=3s I had to look up the spices since I did not have access to a bag of mixed spices. It was so good I need to do it again.

Pho Spices:
    2 Tbsp whole coriander seeds
    4-5 whole cloves
    2-3 whole star anise
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    3” piece cinnamon stick
    3 green cardamon pods