Once you get to Goal weight....then what?

Question: I am FAR from my goal weight, but question: Once you get to your goal weight, what do you do calorie wise? If you keep eating like you have been at the alotted calories, do you not still keep losing weight? Do you increase your calories to stay at your goal weight?

Replies

• My goal weight feels sooo far away...so I haven't really thought much about what happens once I get there!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Question: I am FAR from my goal weight, but question: Once you get to your goal weight, what do you do calorie wise? If you keep eating like you have been at the alotted calories, do you not still keep losing weight? Do you increase your calories to stay at your goal weight?

When you're losing weight, you're eating at a calorie deficit. When you want to maintain your weight, you eat maintenance calories, which is higher than the deficit you were previously eating at. Maintenance is fun :smile:
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    You eat at maintenance level, which is great, but be prepared for it not being *loads* more calories. Your maintenance calories as a lighter person are lower than your maintenance calories as a heavier person.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    You eat at maintenance level, which is great, but be prepared for it not being *loads* more calories. Your maintenance calories as a lighter person are lower than your maintenance calories as a heavier person.

^This exactly. I've been at maintenance for 6 months. I eat the same amount of food I did 2 years ago when I was 50 lbs heavier. It made it easier to go into maintenance. I didn't have to jump up my calories or anything, my weight loss just slowed down.
  • lia1009
    lia1009 Posts: 5
    Thanks everyone!! You've been very helpful!