Help

Options
So as many of you know Ralphie May dies a few days ago and he was overweight. It was sad to hear but got me thinking about my weight seriously again. Over the past month, I have been through a lot that has gotten in my way of both nutrition and exercise. And before anyone says it’s an excuse it is not, as many of you know life gets in the way sometimes. This unfortunate news has made me get motivated again and ready to knock this weight loss out of the park. I do have an exercise question. I will start exercising again but was wondering if those here are accomplishing goals by working out at a gym, or do you have better results doing DVD’s and going for a walk? Ultimately it is up to me but am seeking advice from all of you. Thank you for any advice and feel free to share anymore advice.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As you said, it boils down to what motivates you. What another person does is meaningless if it doesn’t peak your interest, so comparing results for general fitness between gym and home workouts isn’t quite useful. You don’t know what programme they may be running or what their end goals are. For example, I go to the gym to lift and run outside, but I have both running goals and muscle building goals. But if your goals are just general fitness, anything you do will be better than nothing.

Do what you enjoy most that you will stick to it. If it’s something you enjoy, you’re less likely to let life get in the way.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I hate exercising in front of others. I've been doing this http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/12-week-fitness-plan.aspx which lets me exercise at a time, in a place that works for me, all for the price of free. At some point, when I'm ready to up my game, I will probably get over my dislike of being around people and start going somewhere with weights and experts, but for now (4 weeks in, haven't missed a session yet) I'm good.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of DVD's that I mix and mingle so I don't get bored and that way I hit all areas of my body. It works great - I don't have to leave my house and I can do it whenever I have time. Over the years I've added free weights and kettlebells to keep progressing. Even better, you can go online to you tube and other sites and get free work outs!
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Gym, home, doesn't matter, you have to do what you like to do or you'll never do it. I hate to run, so I get my cardio playing racquetball with friends, we're terrible at it, but we sweat our butts off.

Make a plan, get your act together with regard to diet. Start walking, even if you go to the gym every day, you should be walking, walking is amazing for your body. Even if it's just 10min at a time 3-4 times a day.

You have to really want it and dedicate yourself to it, it's a permanent lifestyle change.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I rode a bike because I enjoy the sensation of movement, and also for transportation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Honestly, weight loss is about food. Log your food every day. Every single thing you eat. If you are out at a restaurant or church or someones' house, write down what you eat and enter it when you get home. Study that food diary and learn from it. Pay attention to what foods make you want more and what foods keep you feeling satisfied for longest. That's going to be important going forward. If you are having emotional issues, I hope you'll get support for that. Writing in a journal always helps me.

Okay, with that out of the way, I just do some outdoors walking and hiking and kayaking. I don't like gyms, but in the winter I will go to the public pool and do laps - it's just nice to be out of heavy coats and boots, ya know?

Do what you enjoy for exercise. One is not "better" than another. The best exercise is the one you'll do.
  • stephensonkyle
    stephensonkyle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for you... either or will work. Except one way will be slower then the other. .. but you have to like either or.. i for example like doing the bike at home and work with weights... with a bike you can turn on your favorite tv channel or music and go nuts... that being said.. you need motivation.. which you have that.. im very sorry for your loss... second motivation take a pic of yourself.. and look in the mirrior and picture what you wanna look like.. hang the old you on the fridge.. mirrior.. office.. etc fridge is where mine is.. second... set a realistic goal.. for example.. if you weigh 150... shoot for 100 by next year..... keep it real.. now its dedication... something that you need to do 6 days a week... write down your benifits in a log... i wanna play with my kids.. i wanna see them have kids.. my health.. i want to run a race.. for examples..

Stick to low calorie.. low carbs.. remember its ok to be hungry.. even tho an app will say your maximum calories is this... stick below that if your serious... but dont starve yourself.. you dont want your body hitting starvation mode.. stay off the scale... do it once a week or 2... first little bit will be water weight.. then it gets harder... stick to 3 good meals a day.. remember you can eat healthy and gain weight... a scale for food and a measuring cup will be your best friend.. for awhile... portion control.. if you eat off of a big place use a smaller one... and lets say make saturday your cheat meal day.. not cheat day... "cheap meal day" only 1 meal.. go eat pizza or whatever.. if you eat 3 slices cut down to 2.. every little bit helps.. but after that meal your back on track again...

Avoid sugar drinks.. fast food.. all that good stuff.. save that for a cheat meal.. jist dont stuff yourself. Only once..

If you ride a bike.. make it every night.. a min 30 mins.. 1 rest day.. start slow.. 5 mins.. then moderate cycles.. get your heart rate up.. sweat.. getting your heart rate up boost your motabulism.. which burns fat.. work your way up to 60 mins.. or treadmill.. step ups.. and tone your muscles.. with little weights.. squats.. lunges.. that sorta thing.. for examples... its hard work.. but fun..

You will see alot of stuff and do what works for you.. you will see diets people eating 6 or 7 meals a day.. ( small) and even tho healthy can put you at more intake then you burn.. as long as you keep moving... exersice and portion control.. and watch your calorie and carbs.. you will see a difference... best of luck to you..

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't do gyms because I don't want to go somewhere to work out. We have one at work, so it wouldn't cost me anything, but I prefer riding a bicycle from my house and back to my house so that after I shower I don't have to drive home I can just crash.