Want to go vegan

I've wanted to eat vegan for a long time now but I have a severe tree nut and peanut allergy, and it just seems that 9 out of 10 vegan recipes I look at contain nuts, mainly cashews. What other alternatives are there?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Free yourself from recipes, and educate yourself on nutrition. If you're worried about protein: vegan protein sources include seeds, grains and pulses.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Whilst I was vegan I used this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/000-Vegan-Recipes/dp/0470085029

In fact I still do but I'm no longer vegan.
  • emilyjane1511
    emilyjane1511 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks so much!!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Grains and legumes, fruits and veggies, seeds. I don't really eat cashews even when I'm eating vegan. Tahini or sunflower seed butters might be good substitutes for nut butters; coconut oil; rice milk.
  • circularsmiles
    circularsmiles Posts: 14 Member
    Vegan here! Add me, we'll chat!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm not sure where you're looking for recipes, but I have tons of vegan cookbooks that include nut-free recipes. Even those who include nuts often have a index that allows you to find the nut-free recipes easily.

Can you have sunflower seeds? I've seen those used as a substitute for cashews in sauces. I've done it myself and I think it's delicious.

When I was losing weight, I tended to avoid recipes with nuts just because of the calories and I found I still had plenty to eat.