Diabetes Type 2 Support

Options
SojournerThirteen
SojournerThirteen Posts: 28,204 Member
There are many diabetics on MFP, and I have often thought how beneficial it would be for us to have a thread to share diet and fitness cautions and successes as well.

In addition, it would be good to share that sometimes diet and fitness is not the complete solution.

Best blessings to everyone on their journey!

Replies

• SojournerThirteen
    SojournerThirteen Posts: 28,204 Member
    Options
    Greetings to each of you!

I was diagnosed w/Diabetes Type 2 about 3 years ago. I have other health challenges which complicate my situation. I’ve been very close to being back to normal, as in non diabetic on 2 occasions but unexplainable body changes put me worse than ever on one of the 2 occasions, and the other was simply me rebelling and eating and drinking what I wanted over a 3-week period. Has taken me nearly a year to get my Blood Glucose Levels (BGL) down to a consistent and safe range.

I’ve learned that eating protein (i.e. peanuts, meat, etc.) brings my BGL down quickly. I’ve also learned that I can enjoy some sweets as long as they are part of a healthily mixed meal—higher protein content is more effective.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My wife has Diabetes 2. We went to a 4 week class about 2 years ago. Part of it dealt with nutrition. Since I do all the cooking, I went to all the classes too.

I am happy to say that, through dietary changes, we have been able to bring her levels down to "normal". It wasn't really that difficult. Cut out some carbs and substituted some protein. It wasn't that simple, of course, but it was easier than we thought it would be. It is a daily awareness type of thing. Good Luck. Stya on top of it.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    There are T2D threads on different boards, check other places besides Chit Chat or use Search tool.

I’m T2D but I got off all Rx meds and it is Controlled now by healthy Lifestyle. Diet and exercise are good medicine.