Quadralean & Hypothyroidsm

Options
Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago and have been on 87mcg. I check my levels regularly and there seems to be no fluctuation, however, my metabolism has slowed considerably. I want to add a fat burner to my diet, and research for a good non-stim one i.e. QuadraLean.

BUT, I recently read that l-carnitine, which is present in QuadraLean can have adverse effects. Is this true? Can someone help me out here please?

Thanks!

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, while at first it was hoped that L-carnitine might be useful in helping with hypothyroidism, preliminary studies suggest that it does the opposite. It seems to help with hyperthyroidism, instead, and in ways that would suggest it would be bad for those with hypothyroidism.

So if it were me, i would really not take it, honestly.

That said, I would say that if it were me, this is what I'd do.

1. Go check out some of the newest research on medication and hypothyroidism. Specifically for when the meds aren't working. There is some interesting information out there about it these days that might be of use.

2. I'd honestly consider getting tested for first, any auto-immune disorder that is in your family tree, and second, celiac disease and/or diabetes. If you've got the insurance for it, anyway.

With hypothyroidism, you are in a higher risk category to develop one of the other of these. On top of that, if you have one of the three - hypo, celiac, or diabetes - there have been preliminary studies that suggest that having one of them can sometimes mask symptoms of the other. In part because sometimes the beginning symptoms are the same for all three diseases.

Also, anecdotally, I know of many people who had hypo plus celiac or diabetes, and getting treatment for the celiac or diabetes, their hypo improved significantly.

And a last oddball question - do you have a lot of iodized salt in your diet, or do you eat sea salt more? I only ask because sea salt has become more popular, so sometimes, folks aren't getting that iodine supplement in their salt anymore. But if you have too low levels of iodine, it can impact your thyroid toward the hypothyroid direction, as well.
  • ak10388
    ak10388 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for your answers.

@bpetrosky I was really skeptical about fat burners too, but a lot of my friends - very healthy friends, too - have used fat burners and recommend them quite highly. They're in peak body shape and have been into fitness and bodybuilding for years. They're reliable people and I trust their opinion too. However they don't know about the hypo and cartinine interaction, thus MFP.

I did speak with my endo, he says that there is no significant clinical interaction, however does admit that he has limited experience in this matter.

@suzanne I don't know if they could kill me... that sounds a little extreme tbh, because I've seen people take them a be completely fine. I think it's best to avoid taking them for a long period of time is what most people say.

@shaumom That's true, and that's why I'm a little worried. However, many with hypo say that cartinine worked for them, and in fact made them feel far better.

I have tested for celiac and diabetes and clear of both - it's just hypo that's getting my gut.

I have a lot of salt in my diet - I'm from India, so there's no escaping it :)
  • ak10388
    ak10388 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @suzannesimmons3 Well, I guess I'll make sure it isn't something lethal.