Feeling sick while dieting

Options
So I’m still on my diet however 2 days ago I allowed my self a cheat day because I was told it can trick your body in to fat burning so yesterday I started back with my fruit and I did fine all day however today I woke up and all’s I could think about was food and I was so hungry and I’ve been feeling sick and headache all day and i wasn’t able to eat any of my fruit the only thing I’ve been able to eat is chocolate and whenever I try to eat fruit my mind just tells me it’s disgusting and to eat pizza or something and I’m worried I won’t be able to get motivation to continue on my diet also I gained 5lbs over night on my cheat day :/ any advice on to why starting my diet again could affect me like this

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So I’m still on my diet however 2 days ago I allowed my self a cheat day because I was told it can trick your body in to fat burning
    You've been told wrong. Your body burns excess fat when you're in a calorie deficit.
    so yesterday I started back with my fruit and I did fine all day
    Are you trying to live exclusively on fruit? That is not healthy. We can do lots of unhealthy things for a while, though - until we can't,
    however today I woke up and all’s I could think about was food and I was so hungry and I’ve been feeling sick and headache all day and i wasn’t able to eat any of my fruit the only thing I’ve been able to eat is chocolate and whenever I try to eat fruit my mind just tells me it’s disgusting and to eat pizza or something
    just as you have learnt now.
    and I’m worried I won’t be able to get motivation to continue on my diet
    Maybe your diet isn't a keeper anyway.
    also I gained 5lbs over night on my cheat day :/ any advice on to why starting my diet again could affect me like this
    You don't gain 5 pounds of fat overnight. Food weighs something, and it's not out of your system until you poop it out.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    First of all, you didn’t gain 5lbs “overnight.” Remember, 1 lb = 3500 calories. You didn’t eat 17,500 calories of fruit in one day. Likely your weight went up because of the mass of the food in your stomach, since it probably hadn’t fully digested yet. If you were feeling sick, bloating or constipation could also contribute to this fluctuation on the scale. It should even back out in a few days.

Secondly, if you binge on enough of anything, your body will likely reject it afterwards. When I was 10 and got my tonsils out, I ate nothing but banana flavored popsicles for a week straight. Now the scent of bananas still makes me gag.

Thirdly, you are less likely to binge if you “diet” with the appropriate calorie goal (not too low), the appropriate macros (getting sufficient protein, fats, and carbs), and overall not being too restrictive. For weight loss, you can really eat anything (including pizza) as long as you log accurately and make it fit into your calories for the day. For overall health you obviously shouldn’t eat pizza or similar foods every day. But for weight loss, it’s all about the calories.

What is your current calorie goal? What is your height & weight? Usually when people have trouble sticking to their calories or binging, it’s because they have too aggressive of a weight loss goal and aren’t eating enough calories and/or they are completely restricting groups of foods
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your "diet" is overly restrictive to begin with, and that you are falling into a lot of common weight loss myths which are unnecessary and potentially detrimental to long term success.

What are your stats - height, weight, age?
    What is your goal weight?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    Do you exercise? What kind and how often?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide?
    Are you logging accurately, using a food scale?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?

The key to successfully losing weight lies in your answers to the questions above. It has nothing to do with whether you eat fruit, chocolate or pizza (you can eat all of them and still lose weight) or have a cheat day. You don't need to "trick your body into fat burning mode". You need to set a reasonable calorie goal, eat a variety of foods you enjoy that provide nutrition and satiety, exercise for physical fitness, and ensure you are in a calorie deficit by logging accurately. That's it.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders use this technique alot. Carb loading, carb cycling or Carb refeeds.

The idea is your metabolism becomes a little lax which is why you plateau, having a "refeed" or Carb loading day supposedly kick starts your metabolism back into high gear.

I have found this community a little close minded in regards to any weight loss theory that is any more than calorie reduction but there are loads of people that use this technique with amazing results.

I don't practice it as I'm weak and everytime I've fallen off the diet wagon, it's been after a cheat meal. My wife stalled out weight loss for over a week on keto then after dinner at the in-laws full of carbs, the weight started falling off again.

Best suggestion is not to beat yourself up. The sickness will pass and maybe you can use it as motivation to stay on track.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First...use periods, please. They help us read your comments. ;)

Second, I would guess it's all mental. Your body isn't rejecting natural foods b/c it's poison, thus why I think it's all in your mind. I expect you to feel sick AFTER eating junk, not before eating wholesome natural foods.

On gaining 5 lbs, most of it is probably water. I have seen 2-4 lbs difference from day to day just b/c I had a high salt day and was retaining water. Also, don't know if you weighed in the morning or night, but if you put a backpack on and stuffed it with a 12 oz sirloin, a baked potato, a 32 oz drink, and a slice of cheesecake, of course the weight is going to show up on the scales. Just because your stomach is the 'backpack', doesn't mean the food you eat magically loses it's weight. So you may have a lbs or so added just in food weight, and won't lose it until it comes out the other end.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    everyone told you in your last thread that just eating fruit was ridiculous... so.... :huh:

Oh wait. I must have missed this. I read the OP as she had given up fruit when she started her "diet" and then after indulging a little felt guilty and then was having trouble getting back on track. I missed any suggestion of an all fruit diet... yes OP, that's a very bad idea - no protein, no fat... why are you doing this?
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bodybuilders use this technique alot. Carb loading, carb cycling or Carb refeeds.

The idea is your metabolism becomes a little lax which is why you plateau, having a "refeed" or Carb loading day supposedly kick starts your metabolism back into high gear.

I have found this community a little close minded in regards to any weight loss theory that is any more than calorie reduction but there are loads of people that use this technique with amazing results.

I don't practice it as I'm weak and everytime I've fallen off the diet wagon, it's been after a cheat meal. My wife stalled out weight loss for over a week on keto then after dinner at the in-laws full of carbs, the weight started falling off again.

Best suggestion is not to beat yourself up. The sickness will pass and maybe you can use it as motivation to stay on track.

After reading several articles, this makes sense to me- what I've seen suggested is to do about 12-16 weeks cal. deficit and then go up to maintenance calories for 7-10 days- and then return to deficit. I'm going to try this after 12 weeks (I've got 9) I think this will also provide a nice mental break from being so vigilant for so many weeks. But, as you mentioned, one needs to have the discipline to revert to cal. deficit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

There is a lot of misinformation and "bro-science" in the bodybuilding community.

And while there are certain techniques that can help, we are talking ultra lean people getting even ultra leaner to step on stage for a short period of time. There are many people from different walks of life here, not just bodybuilders. So a 1-2% edge would typically not apply to a person just trying to get rid of excess weight. Not even myself as I am not in that super lean category.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :D:D:D Bro-science :D:D:D

The best thing I've heard all week! And so accurate!