Eat more, lose more - I know it's not true but why does it feel like that sometimes?

Options
I competently understand that eating more does not mean I will lose more weight BUT, why does it sometimes feel like that? What's the physiology or psychology behind it?

This weekend I went on a camping trip and I tried to track at least most of what I ate. I was planning to be lax this weekend so I didn't log that handful(s) of potato chips I grabbed while making a plate for my daughter, or the slice of cheese I picked off my son's burger... it goes on and on. Still, for what I did log, I was nearly 800 calories over my limit for the day.

When I weighed myself this morning I was down a couple of pounds and my belly was looking less pouchy than ever before. I know the key for long term success is not to continue to consume 6 smores a night but I'm just curious why I feel like this after an over-indulgent couple of days.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    How are you logging foods when you do log? Are you weighing everything? You could actually be in a deficit and not know it if you are estimating.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Could also be simple fluctuations in water weight. Did you stop working out? Did you take in less sodium? Fewer carbs?
  • Damien_Damien
    Damien_Damien Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you account for walking/lugging around a ton of camping equipment in your calorie counts for the weekend? Camping can be a pretty physical activity, without being that noticeable.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How are you logging foods when you do log? Are you weighing everything? You could actually be in a deficit and not know it if you are estimating.

I didn't weigh my food this weekend but a lot of items were easy to calculate because they were packaged and not homemade- like pre-made burgers/sausages, individual marshmallows, graham cracks, Hershey bars, cups of yogurt, etc. Knowing what I ate this weekend compared to what I usually eat... there is no possible way I was in a deficit. Not even close! We mostly sat around the camp fire all weekend and ate. Lot of fun with family and friends but not great for the diet.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Could also be simple fluctuations in water weight. Did you stop working out? Did you take in less sodium? Fewer carbs?

I did a short work out Saturday morning but without weights (had to supplement with a case of bottled water) and juggling 2 small kids, it wasn't the same as usual. I may have taken in less sodium because I mostly ate sugar and refined carbs for two days straight.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Did you account for walking/lugging around a ton of camping equipment in your calorie counts for the weekend? Camping can be a pretty physical activity, without being that noticeable.

Unfortunately our version of camping was pretty tame. We were at a camp ground, in a cabin, and since some of the family (us too) had young kids, we mostly sat around eating food and yacking while the kiddos ran around entertaining us.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This doesn't directly apply to your question, but in general, I notice that on days I eat more I'm also more inclined to move more. I wonder if sometimes eating at a higher calorie level fuels us better and we then in turn do things that burn more calories .
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The other thing I forgot to mention above, is that often when people are too restrictive in their food choices and/or their total calorie level while losing - they end up having difficulty sticking with it and have a cheat day or even a binge (for those who are prone to binge restrict cycles) which can totally offset their deficit and/or cause them to give up altogether, maybe even saying to hell with it, why bother logging I've already fallen off the wagon. Eating at the modest deficit and allowing for foods you love like pizza or chocolate or what ever you fancy, in moderation, helps keep someone motivated to stay on track, to continue logging, and to keep with the total deficit over time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It's sometimes a couple of things:

No working out "reduces" the amount of glycogen storage and water in the cells.

Diet break sometimes RAISES metabolic rate temporarily because you're not in deficit.

If you're in a higher altitude, you expend an little more energy with respiration if you're not acclimated to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Diet break sometimes RAISES metabolic rate temporarily because you're not in deficit.

If you're in a higher altitude, you expend an little more energy with respiration if you're not acclimated to it.

Do those last 2 points make enough of a difference to be meaningful... to be reflected in scale weight? Asking honestly... no snark.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Do those last 2 points make enough of a difference to be meaningful... to be reflected in scale weight? Asking honestly... no snark.
    Yes, but it's more likely due to release of water in the cells rather than fat weight. Unfortunately many people look at weight loss on the scale as primarily losing fat, when most of the time the small fluctuations are just water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png