Best choice of egg?

Options
I'm not sure if there really is a best choice of egg to chose from? Between cage free, organic, and the store brand not sure wich one to use? Always used regular store bought until recently am debating that decision but not sure if there really is a difference in the end. Pros and cons I'm sure to both. Havnt eaten any but can use the protein since I'm vegetarian and no dairy. Appreciate any opinions-comments

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For calories, no. For your other personal reasons that's up to you.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    All of the stuff sold in supermarkets will be about the same. The different labels (organic, free range, etc.) are mainly lip service.

The only real driver to quality differences that I've seen is small farm vs. mass produced. True farm fresh eggs taste much better than their supermarket counterparts. You can see it in their color alone.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nutritionally, I don't think there is any difference between commerical mass marketed supermarket eggs and "fresh" small farm or home grown eggs.

However, there is a huge difference in cost and an apparent qualitative difference in their appearance and taste.

I have purchased fresh eggs on several occasions and they can cost 3-4x's as much as supermarket eggs (at least where I live). However, the yolks of fresh eggs have a deeper yellow color and seem to have more flavor than supermarket eggs.

Personally, I don't think that these subjective qualitative differences are worth the extra cost. So, I just buy supermarket eggs.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have 50 chickens all raised happy and free. Because they have access to grass when ever they wish their yolks are more yellow than other eggs. Other factors can be what you feed them, mine get a good all round feed and oyster grit. Some of the big commercial companies have been known to put all sorts into feeds to get optimal yields etc but that just means the eggs might be smaller and of less quality.
    Organic vs non organic will not change the quality only means there has been no chemicals etc.
    Ours are technically organic as I don't use any chemicals but that is because, on a small scale, it is easier and cheaper to do things naturally.
    There is a huge difference in taste and appearance between cage and proper free range (another topic). I suggest buying some cage and some true free range and doing a direct comparison.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Organic refers to the feed the chicken is fed. Free range means chickens have access to the open air. Barn raised/perchery means they are kept inside but can move around (not in small cages), nbattery means they are kept in cages, about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.
    I go for heritage breeds - Burford Browns from Ocado or Waitrose
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 eggs every day and have for the last 83 days

I've tried them all, except cage / battery which I refuse, from supermarkets, butchers shops and even hipster greengrocer type shops

There's no doubt the organic farm eggs I'm currently getting, from the organic stall on my local market,
    are the tastiest, richest and frankly freshest. Truly delicious and they knock all the supermarket free range etc
    for six (out of the ballpark for our US friends)

Get the best you can, make sure they are fresh