Do you tell people?

Options

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My best friend knows and that is about it. I'm not hiding it, just not something I come out and say until someone asks how I've lost weight.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    If asked, I will tell. Most of the time, people assume I'm working out and lost weight that way, and they ask that. When I tell them it's not the case, I'm not working out, I'm counting calories instead, they are always surprised. Some will say they could never do that. It's gotten to the point that I now respond by saying that I watch what I eat and eat less, and don't get too specific about it.

I've also made the mistake of saying that my weight loss is going well, but I have more to lose. Then, people ask how much more and when I tell them, they go off like it is too much, I shouldn't lose that much etc etc.

Lots of opinions out there. Lots of negative comments.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Not unless I have to.

Say im going on a date, Likely wouldnt mention it, But theyd probably figure it out when i dont want alcohol (i swear every guy wants me drunk XD ) Dont want dessert or whatever. Guys are annoyingly pushy and tend to not accept "I dont want it" A few times iv straight up just had to walk away mid date because they thought they were being funny repeatedly pushing me to drink. Like no. Ill snap i swear i said no piss off -.- If i wanted it id of said yes within the first 25 times you asked.

Or with family, My aunt (high five to those who remember her) and grampa and I go out for lunch every weekend. I let them pick where we go, And ill only eat if its something i actualyl want- I dont want mcdonalds but im super down for a great big chicken cesar wrap and fries from a sit down place- Theyve also seen me every week for my entire 110 pound loss. They also have seen the groceries i buy sort of transform as i went. Pretty impossible to not mention it to them lol.

At work theyve seen me shrink but i work with just a bunch of guys their more concerned that a 5 ft 3 125 pound girl lifts heavier things thn they can xD Never had to have a weight loss conversation at work, Even though theyve all clearly noticed lol.

edit to add- I do have 2 exes who are my best friends im pretty chatty with on weight loss. The one saw my results and joined me so i have him to spam with excitement at new milestones and when i take a cute new selfie i look tiny in or whatever. Or new recipes. Or to whine to when my muscles are sore LOL. Health stuff XD
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely tell people. All my closest people are aware and most of them are extremely supportive. People I don't know as well I only mention if it comes up in conversation or they ask. I have nothing to hide, and if it makes anyone uncomfortable because they're not supportive .... well, that's not my issue and it won't change my approach. :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes, if they ask & I'll tell them how.
    People didn't really notice much until I lost over 90 lbs, then I had quite a few people notice and ask me about it.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't really make an attempt to tell anyone. However, I eat mostly at work so I ended up brining my food scale with me. People saw me in the kitchen with it and well I ended up explaining. And of course I told those in my household because they also see me weighing foods. Anyone else, nah.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Never. It's no one's business, plus it's a really uninteresting topic of conversation. There are so many better things to talk about.

Of course, it isn't something I would sit in the pub and discuss. I am thinking more along the lines of people you regularly eat with and whether you explain the sudden change in the choices you are making.

Ah, well, I didn't change the choices I make at all. I simply cut back on the quantity. I eat the same foods now that I always have: a variety of whole foods mostly cooked at home.

I was always a burger and a pint girl if eating out, that's a whole days calories gone now lol
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Only a couple of close friends, and the new friends I have made through fittness (at the gym, where others also use it). If someone asks I will tell them, but otherwise I don't.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    Following on from a thread I have been reading about people making negative comments when you are making healthy choices, I am wondering now if people tell others that they are tracking their intake and making a conscious effort to lose weight?

I am hit and miss with it, depending who it is. Some people (dad, bf, friends) know I am "trying to be sensible" to shift some weight, I have only really told people I am counting who I know have followed some kind of programme themselves (a couple of work colleagues, mum) and so will understand the weighing and tracking.
    My boyfriend doesn't even know I am counting - I have no idea why I didn't tell him, but I just said I was trying to be good but would relax more at weekends (which I do, I allow higher calories than in the week)! It's almost like I am ashamed of it, when really, shouldn't I be proud that I am making changes? Perhaps it is because he is super skinny and eats like a horse that I don't expect him to understand that I need the structure.

Anyway, I am rambling, I am just curious as to how open others are, and the reactions they get as a result.

I don't outright tell people, but everyone in my group knows I'm the *healthy* one that is always conscious of what I'm eating and will prioritize the gym over hanging out on some occasions. Even people that aren't in my inner group of friends or that I've just met soon figure out how I am because if I'm out to dinner I WILL take like 3-5 minutes and log my order. It's part of the lifestyle. Sometimes people make comments ("Just live a little" "Who cares, we're out") but after they know me for a while they stop because I turn it right back around and make comments about how it's a healthy lifestyle, etc. Comments like that don't bother me anymore. Just tune them out.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I talk about it, but not much. I use my Instagram for bragging about exercise, or whatever, because I have fewer folllowers there, but only talk on Facebook about it when I hit a milestone. I don't feel like it's all that exciting to everyone, but it's not a secret. They'll notice when I get to goal anyway, because I'll have lost an entire person.

I'm pretty open on Facebook though, and post about just about everything there. I'm pretty housebound, so the internet is my social life. ;)
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I talk about it if someone asks me. I can say that if someone tried to 'police' my eating or make bad comments I would politely tell them what I do is not any of their business. I don't know how to post a photo here - but the little girl meme that says 'worry bout yo own self' comes to mind. =)
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just make posts on Facebook every once in a while because I like the praise lol. But there is always someone who has to put their 2 cents in, like oh you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful they way you are. I mean hello I started at 300 pounds, yes, yes I do need to lose weight lol. Or oh you are doing it all wrong, you need to do this diet or that diet or do this or that. Well no, I'm not doing it wrong, I have lost 35 pounds in 2 and a half months, I must be doing something right lol. But for the most part people are happy and pleased for me, some are tired of my roller coaster over the years lol but this time is different.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't usually mention it, but will if someone asks. People seem to be more inclined to comment about me being vegan than to comment about how healthy or unhealthy I eat anyways.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey almost 2 years ago, I told anyone who would listen about the support apps I was using. Over time, I realized that either people didn’t really have the motivation, didn’t want to put in the work, or a combination of the two. Eventually I just started saying “diet and exercise” when asked how I lost the weight.

Only my husband knows I use MFP - and really only because he started becoming curious about how to lose weight after having limited success with his own unstructured “I’ll just eat less” approach to the process.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I don't shout it from the rooftops but the way I eat, I've actually been asked if I'm tracking my food. The guys in my deli are so great, they asked me and when I said yes they'd put my apples and avocados on their scale to tell me how much they weighed so I could log them, asked me how my progress was, told me it was really paying off. My coworkers know because they will sometimes make healthier choices when I'm prepping my meals OR they will totally cosign when I'm going to indulge. I actually get a LOT of support from almost everyone once they ask and I explain.

Great deli guys!!