Is it unreasonable to want to be a UK Dress Size 6 (US 2) ?

2»

Replies

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I'm 5'6, large frame, and I think US size 2 might be too skinny for me. I am currently a US size 4 (size 6 in a handful of things). I think it depends on your height and frame.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Deadsoulfreak Posts: 16 Member
    NadNight wrote: »
    The sizings over here in the UK are awful at the moment, not a lot of consistency and it's always the same shops you hear people have trouble in!

This is so true! (I find primark the worst for inconsistent fit and sizing!). I kind of understand where the OP is coming from with wanting to drop a dress size, it does feel good to get a smaller size. But I own clothes in UK sizes 4 to 10. And you'd think a person that was a size 4 would look very different to a size 10? Even size guides are different.

As a little test, I googled the size charts of the first two clothes shops that came to mind. In NewLook, a size 6 has measurements of 32-24-34. A Monsoon size 6 has measurements of 29.5-23-32. There may be even more variation out there, that's just the 2 shops I googled.

But to the OP I will say that if you have a medium bone structure then no matter how much weight you lose, your actual bones will stop you from getting to a certain size. But it doesn't mean you can't look super slim and toned and no one will know what clothes size you're wearing, only that it looks fab.

I hate how bad the sizing is atm. Primark and New Look are the worst for inconsistent sizing. The problem is I have my heart set on fitting into size 6 jeans. I guess I'm just aiming for an unachievable goal but I have to at least try. If it doesn't work out and I have to quit my quest for a size 6, then at least I'll know I tried everything.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    Oh yeah, also how tall are you @Deadsoulfreak ? If you're really tall then a size 6 may be a bit small

I'm 5'3

And how much do you weigh?

102 lbs so I don't understand how I still can't fit a size :(

Because you're just not built that way.

You're underweight for your height as it is so you should NOT be trying to lose more weight.

Why are you so bothered about being a particular size?

I honestly thought I was built that way tbh. Being a size 6 just means everything to me, it's hard to explain. Maybe my hips need to be 32 inches before I fit a size 6 though, as they're currently 32.5 inches.

You need to speak to a doctor about your irrational need to be a particular size. You should be trying to gain weight not lose more.

I don't think a doctor could help tbh. I've always felt this way.

It's really sad that you think that. Everyone deserves to be happy and healthy.

I'll be happy if I reach a size 6 and that's all I want tbh. I feel like it's the perfect size for me.

It's not. That is disordered thinking.

Maybe so, but I'll never be happy until I'm a size 6. I didn't do all this work for nothing. I used to be a size 22 and my weight loss journey isn't over until I'm a size 6. I've come this far, so why should I quit now? I need to be happy with my body for once.

From what you've said I doubt you'd be happy with yourself even if you did make it there

I reckon I will be but who knows. Either way I'll be happier than I am now, that's for certain. I'd love to be a UK Size 4 realistically, but I know that's too thin. So I'm aiming for a happy medium as the longer I'm a Size 8 for, the more miserable I'll become.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    "NadNight wrote: »
    ...As a little test, I googled the size charts of the first two clothes shops that came to mind. In NewLook, a size 6 has measurements of 32-24-34. A Monsoon size 6 has measurements of 29.5-23-32. There may be even more variation out there, that's just the 2 shops I googled.

But to the OP I will say that if you have a medium bone structure then no matter how much weight you lose, your actual bones will stop you from getting to a certain size. But it doesn't mean you can't look super slim and toned and no one will know what clothes size you're wearing, only that it looks fab.

Thanks for the test. Good to know I'll never be a size 6 for those brands. At my smallest adult size, when I was at my ideal body weight, my hips were 36 inches.

OP, please stop obsessing about the number on the tag and focus on the progress you've made. Whether you make it to that magical 6 or not, you've accomplished a lot and shouldn't put yourself down over some label. :flowerforyou:

I can't help obsessing over it unfortunately, the joys of OCD. I'm also a perfectionist. Thank you.
  • Deadsoulfreak
    I'm 5'6, large frame, and I think US size 2 might be too skinny for me. I am currently a US size 4 (size 6 in a handful of things). I think it depends on your height and frame.

Yeah I guess it does depend on that.
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Just an add. The skinniest I have ever been was 116 lbs at 5ft 6 inches and I wore I size 7 in US so about a 10/12 in UK sized jeans and you could literally knock on my hips. I was never going to fit a 4 in any sizing chart
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,509 Member
    Oh yeah, also how tall are you @Deadsoulfreak ? If you're really tall then a size 6 may be a bit small

I'm 5'3

And how much do you weigh?

102 lbs so I don't understand how I still can't fit a size :(

Because you're just not built that way.

You're underweight for your height as it is so you should NOT be trying to lose more weight.

Why are you so bothered about being a particular size?

I honestly thought I was built that way tbh. Being a size 6 just means everything to me, it's hard to explain. Maybe my hips need to be 32 inches before I fit a size 6 though, as they're currently 32.5 inches.

OP, I think either you are measuring incorrectly or you are trying on pants in the wrong size. I weigh 115 and have 35" hips and I fit comfortably in a US size 2.
  • Aidnos
    Aidnos Posts: 3 Member
    Find a friend who wears size 6, cut out their clothing tags and sew them into your own clothing. Bam, you're wearing a size 6. And it's just as legitimate as what clothing manufacturers put on their clothes. Depending on brand and style, I wear anything from an 8 to a 14.
  • Nic123fitness
    Nic123fitness Posts: 27 Member
    I’ve got several size 6 jeans, from various shops, and my hips are a few inches more than yours! I’m the same height as you and 112 currently. I’ve also got jeans up to about a size 10.

Do you think you might find the size six thing represents much more than a pair of jeans? Like acceptance or being beautiful or something?
    I have to say I love the number, but it has no bearing on if I actually look or feel nice. I’m sure you could wear that size too, and I bet you don’t feel any different.

Go shopping and see (any excuse lol)
  • This content has been removed.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'm 5'4 and a UK size 6 or 8 depending on the brand and fit.
    I'm not unhealthy.