Gym etiquette:

Options
2»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I think maybe what Carl is saying is that for such light weights you can squat anywhere without worry about having to dump and hurt yourself. A power rack is to provide a mechanical spotter when a real spotter isn't available. I've seen people use a power rack without even setting the bar catches. Might as well use the regular squat/bench rack. Now, if there is no alternative area to squat or bench but the power rack - then it's fair game for everybody.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the weights on the squat rack seem light to you. If it's more than just the bar (assuming it's 30-35lbs) I can't lift it over my head and on to my shoulders safely, even though you might be able to easily.

Women have much less upper body strength for getting that bar on their shoulders without using a rack.

Eyes on your own work out and you won't have to worry about it. But that's just my opinion.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    This was a problem at my gym a couple years ago (more with the dumbbells, I believe) so the staff began putting up signs: "If you're too weak to rerack your weights when you're done, please let one of the girls at the front know and they'll take care of it."

LMAO...that's a good one. Bet it handled the problem too, didn't it? :)