I cannot seem to give up Soda, where do I even begin?

Options

Replies

• rapatad
    rapatad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been off of Sprite for 4 months now and use to drink a lot of it. I do not like diet pop because aspartame gives me headaches. I tried this stuff called Sparkling Ice. It is so good!! Comes in many flavors, but my favorite is Black Raspberry. It really helps with the soda craving. The only thing is I try to watch how much I drink because it has Sucralose in it. I buy the little cans so I can take to dinner with me if I want a soda. Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If this is the infografic generation, then I must fight infografic with infographic.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    If you told us you couldn't stop eating a dozen donuts every day what would you have us tell you?

Stop...eating...donuts...everyday!

You really need us to tell you that is not a good idea?

Aside from being devoid of nutritional value, soda pop is really bad for your teeth. The acid in it dissolves the enamel on your teeth.

Sports drinks are equally bad in this way.

You just have to get out of the habit. Just stop. Don't buy it.

If you need the lift you get from soda drink coffee or tea instead.

I think he was asking for tips to break the habit.. not wanting someone to tell him to stop.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chronic Mountain Dew/Coke drinker. Start slow. Switch to the calorie free variety. Try soda water, or flavored water. Then water with just lemon or lime.

I ended up going that route until I just drink water most of the time. I stopped drinking sweet tea as well and now I'll drink black tea. I still have little indulgences in my coffee from time to time, like creamer, but never sugar. I mostly drink it black.

I rarely have a soda now.

It's possible!
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I understand your struggle. I was definitely addicted to soda, usually having at least two a day. The only thing that worked for me was cutting it out cold turkey. I drank unsweet green tea to help avoid caffine withdrawl headaches, and just refused to let myself have soda. That was a year ago this June, and I don't even think about it anymore as it no longer sounds appealing to me.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Green tea has caffeine.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I go in cycles - I have found that if I can stop drinking soda for 1 day, the next day is easier, and the next. I look at it a day at a time. Then when I break the cycle and have a soda, it's easier for me to have another, and another...

I have learned to enjoy an ice cold - with ice cubes in it - club soda with a splash of cranberry juice, or a wedge of lemon or lime - it is very refreshing esp. on hot summer days. The fizz is terrific and I am learning to wean myself off sweet drinks because I want to keep my calories for FOOD not drinks.

I also found these super low calorie water-flavoring packets - 10 calories per packet. The package says 1 packet per 16 oz bottle of water, but that's too intense for me. I do one packet per 32 oz of water and it tastes terrific.

A lot of it is just mind over matter - do you want to let your cravings master you, or will you master your cravings?

When I let my cravings master me, I drink a Coke every chance I get. When I master my cravings, I drink my club soda or flavored water and am just as satisfied...maybe even more satisfied...because I like being in control rather than being controlled. (esp. if it means I can have something extra to eat thanks to the calories I saved by not drinking that 200+ calorie bottle of Coke!)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    khan2187 wrote: »
    Its been almost six months now I have soda almost everyday (Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite etc...) sometimes as much as 3 glasses a day.

I feel this is doing some hidden internal damage to me (I am beginning to urinate a whole lot more, cannot seem to digest food properly without soda and worst of all the depression that I experience when I don't have a can for more than a day)

I do try to cleanse my body daily with having unsweetened green tea daily (If that even works) and have about 2 liters of plain water daily but I dont think that can really undo the damage caused by soda.

Bottom line, where do I even start to getting rid of such a habit?

For me, it was to stop getting it from the fountain. I get unsweet tea where I can when refills are involved, else I get a bottle which is a set amount of calories, and that is it. That being said, my body needs an extraordinary amount of caffeine to survive, 4 red bulls in one day and still drowsy...
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    khan2187 wrote: »
    Its been almost six months now I have soda almost everyday (Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite etc...) sometimes as much as 3 glasses a day.

I feel this is doing some hidden internal damage to me (I am beginning to urinate a whole lot more, cannot seem to digest food properly without soda and worst of all the depression that I experience when I don't have a can for more than a day)

I do try to cleanse my body daily with having unsweetened green tea daily (If that even works) and have about 2 liters of plain water daily but I dont think that can really undo the damage caused by soda.

Bottom line, where do I even start to getting rid of such a habit?

Drink a soda a day no big deal it's more working the calories into you daily goal. I am having a 32oz Dr. Pepper today.