Depression

Options
I am curious if others struggle with depression? I am a serial starter but this time it's different. I am trying to eat better and exercise to combat depression. I have so much going on in my life right now that I have no energy and I literally sleep all the time. My children, my marriage, and my job are suffering. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sidmobile1983
    sidmobile1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way , tired always , depressed & drowsy , brain fog , but few small changes I have made are helping me but not completely , if interested msg me we can fight it together
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Please please PLEASE see your doctors, there are mild prescription drugs that can help! I've been on one for 30 years, told my doctor once "maybe I should get off this?" and she stared at me in amazement and asked "Why?!? It's working!" There are those of us that need a little help balancing our body chemistries to get out of mild depression, and you may be one of us. Please talk with your doctors?
  • losing4lifen2017
    losing4lifen2017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a mental health nurse in school to be a mental health nurse practitioner. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week. Nothing seems to help right now
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Nothing seems to help right now

Well, with your professional background I am sure you can see that this sentence is a symptom of your problems. Nothing seems to help, until you find something that does. If you stop looking for it and stop trying, then nothing will have helped. But if you go on, try everything that is offered to you for a reasonable amount of time, then your chances are so much better that something will help eventually. You can do it! Go, girl!
  • losing4lifen2017
    Options
    I am hoping for a med change monday....but I'm trying to incorporate lifestyle changes as well. I'm hoping better nutrition and exercise will give me energy and then if I can lose weight will boost my self esteem.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When I started out on this weight loss journey last February I was in a similar place... really down, stressed, tearful, couldn't sleep but never really felt awake either... I actually took 3 weeks out of work and didn't tell the kids. Just dropped them to school as normal and dragged myself around a park for an hour every morning. I forced myself to exercise, even though I hated every second of it. I forced myself to de-clutter my life a little every day... I forced myself to leave the kids at after school, and tried hard to let go of the guilt... It was a really difficult few weeks, but I got through it.. I went back to work and started to look forward to going for the walk at lunch break. Roll on 10 months and while I still suffer anxiety and negativity, I have made lifestyle changes that have helped immensely. I bought a FitBit and aim to get my 10000 steps daily. The days I don't get close I definitely feel worse. I run occasionally, and while it may not be pretty viewing, and I'm slow, I always feel great afterwards. I try to start every morning with a positive affirmation and am making a bit more effort to dress well for work. (I used to just live in jeans... ) And finally, although looking at your profile pic, you look beautiful and probably do this anyway... I have started to wear a spray of perfume every day... just something small, but it makes me feel better...

Really hope you start to feel better soon... xx
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Get outside. Find some place that makes you happier and try to spend time there. Exercise. It's pretty much the only thing that helps me when I'm having anxiety problems, or feeling stressed out to the point it's affecting me physically and mentally. I know it's not the same as depression, but it's one big thing that's recommended for pretty much everything.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been known to improve mood and can help with mild depression. I know it does wonders for me. I recently started mediating as well and that has helped keep me calmer. But, as counter-productive as it seems, doing more helps with me energy levels. If I don't have any energy and end up doing nothing, then I feel even more lethargic, but getting up and going for a brisk walk or in my case a jog helps. I started the Couch to 5k app when I was at my heaviest and running has helped immensely with my mood and weight loss.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression and anxiety for years, and am just getting back on track after 3 weeks of a set-back from this. Each day I look forward to my time after work getting fresh air and sun and exercise helps me also.
  • losing4lifen2017
    Options
    So far exercise seems to be improving my energy level. I'm joining a gym tomorrow but I'm super nervous because of my weight. I don't like people to see me exercise.