Stress Fractures

Options
Any joggers here ever have one and if so do you need to see a doctor or can you just take it easy for 6-8 weeks? It's only really a problem in the 11 hr of my sift, the rest of the time it's ranges from being fine to mildly annoying.

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If the pain goes away, it sounds more like a stress point than a fracture. I have had 3 stress fractures in my foot at once before, and trust me the pain doesn't go away. I am not sure what your current running load is, but usually these types of injuries are caused by doing to much too soon. My stress fractures were from when I went from flip flops into combat boots over night.

I would ease up on the running. Generally, the unofficial rule is to take one day off of running for each day you have been in pain. This doesn't mean you have to stop being active, but don't do anything high impact. Every runner has a love/hate relationship with R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). So rest, ice when you get done with your workout (10-15 minutes tops), use compression if you can, and elevate whenever you get the chance. Then, start back up running slow and easy, with minimal distance. If you still have pain, then yes go see a doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor for a proper diagnosis
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    With mine I was in pain walking on it for about 3 weeks and that then eased off. Couldn't run for about 6-8 but could do non impact activities. I'd say up to you re doctor. It took as long for the diagnosis as the heeling with seeing the dr, x-ray and then results
  • ejyennie
    ejyennie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a podiatrist: best bet, a sports podiatrist. Although, when I had one, the pain did not go away: it got worse. Involved months in a boot and no running for six months.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I had a pelvic stress fracture. I went to an orthopedist and was told to rest and he told me what I could do for cross training. I didn't take it seriously enough because the pain eased after a week or so, so I continued to walk the dog, etc. I just stopped running. After about 2 months the pain was worse than it had been in the beginning. I went back to the doctor and he told me to get off my feet and stay off them. After 4 months I was able to walk without pain. At 5 months I started to run, but had to back off because the pain came back. It was 7 months before I could run again without pain.

IOW, better to get an accurate diagnosis so you have a better idea of how soon you can get back to being accurate and so you don't make matters worse.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had tibial stress fractures in high school during 2 of my track seasons. Went to the doc who did xrays. Told me I had to stop running or risk a compound fracture. He gave me an air cast and I couldn't run for awhile.

I would either go to the doc, or just lay off the running for awhile until the pain goes away. Ice can also help.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I've had stress fractures in my foot and one on my tibial plateau (like JJ Watt). Both times they started feeling better after I ran on them a bit, which is reason enough to see a doctor. Sometimes though, they won't show up on an x-ray until they are healed.