Will it always be this way?

Options
I was out of town for a funeral and did not have a chance to run. I had previously worked up to running for 20 minutes without stopping. I got on the treadmill last night and thought I was going to die. I walked and ran but only ran a total of 11 minutes. Will it always be this way if you have to take a few days off or will it get better?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if I take a few days off- usually the first workout back is crusy as hell... yes.

But it goes away really quickly- usually by the next workout you are feeling better.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I had to take 2 months off running due to an injury. I used to be able to run 10 miles, but now I can only run about 6. Luckily if you've done it before, it's a lot easier to build your endurance back up again. Don't get discouraged!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was out of town for a funeral and did not have a chance to run. I had previously worked up to running for 20 minutes without stopping. I got on the treadmill last night and thought I was going to die. I walked and ran but only ran a total of 11 minutes. Will it always be this way if you have to take a few days off or will it get better?

Even if the first one back is always a bit so-so, the second run will not be, it will be better and the third training session you will be back to where you were.

The longer you train for in months and years, the easier it is when you go back after time off, well that is what I have found anyway.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Shold clarify I guess:) I was only able to run for 11 minutes. I am not that much of a slug that I could only walk for 11 minutes. haha Going to try again tonight. Hoping to watch an episode of LOST!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take long to drop off. That said, the bigger aerobic base you have, the less noticeable drop off...the smaller your aerobic base (if you're a beginner) the drop off is going to be larger.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cardio gains come and go quickly, it's the nature of the beast. That's why I prefer weightlifting ;)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I go hard 7 days a week, no rest day for me or I am a mess.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments:)